• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Optimizer 6.5

I have never seen a 6.5, let alone a diesel, any brand, in a pick a part boneyard. I think the 6.5s were grenaded in Obama’s cash for clunkers program, while the other diesels were handled by salvagers.

it's rare to find a diesel in any of our local salvage yards. I have ran across two 6.5's in our local wrench a part yards but they both were too far gone to be worth anything.

Obama could have given the 6.5 portion of cash for clunkers to WarWagon.

His administration was too busy giving Chrysler away.

Patch was a "Cash For Clunkers SURVIVOR".

And who in the hell would finance any buyers for that program you when that administration busted the automotive HMO's up for Obamacare because The Government didn't like competition.

I will let others from NY, Ca and Az @WarWagon tell theirs because it might have changed since ai last seen their system.

Diesels are a "snap test" here.
Floor it and hold it on the governed max RPM. The smoke probe reads the opacity.

Unless your governor fails. Then the engine comes apart or gets damaged badly.

Or you "Blow out" the sensor and it won't zero due to say soot build up. Then you may pass after 12 tries due to their equipment trouble/failure.

They got no idea or care what's under the hood as long as it can pass the opacity number.

Cat if required by model year emission sticker etc. needs to be present.

Fuel cap test.

2005 Duramax same thing: they don't plug them in.

Vehicles over 25 years old with classic vehicle insurance are emissions testing exempt. Good luck obtaining that on a beater of a seldom used pickup.

I would be afraid of gernading my engine doing a snap test! I would be the first one to put something temporary under the throttle pedal or program a limit to the rpm in the PCM just for the test, something like 3200 max rpm haha.

I would be afraid of gernading my engine doing a snap test! I would be the first one to put something temporary under the throttle pedal or program a limit to the rpm in the PCM just for the test, something like 3200 max rpm haha.

You ain't the first and ain't gonna be the last. :angelic:

DS4's can be limited like that.

The DB2's are a mechanical adjustment to limit RPM. Try Half throttle in N and see what RPM you get. You won't move over the gas engine test rollers if you limit RPM via wood under the pedal.

Some of the good clean DS4 tunes I used didn't have the power to get over the rollers. 🤪 💫 Good thing it was "switch on the fly". Cleaning up an exempt 6.2L wasn't easy.

Now on an "old" engine with weak valve springs that have been age/miles weakened further... It's the harshest test if you don't use the engine full RPM range normally. However on diesels it's expected to be able to handle max no-load RPM. Without modifications IMO people are FING NUTS to take the rev limiter higher on a stock IDI: You put in stronger valve springs better lighter roller rockers etc. then think about it. Slip a transmission and you are at max no-load RPM just like the Snap Test.

Weak springs could have saved a life or two when the governor failed on mine - as it broke one valve spring, galled a camshaft lobe, cracked 8 pistons, and bent all the valves to where only the cylinder with a broken valve spring met minimum compression. The engine quit gaining RPM as it lost compression north of 4000+ RPM. (3600 RPM Redline, Eh.) It then smoked white badly and would not come up to the Snap Test full RPM very fast. It ran great till that emission test day. It still ran and I spent a couple of years trying to figure out what had happened with repairs.

Spend like a grand on emissions repairs and you get a one time waiver on emissions. Yes, the Moose Pump with smoke puff limiter receipt was used. 🤔

What a rush- they must love it when one scatters. That would make me want to get some old beater and remove the governor just for the entertainment. I would be tempted to have it pump gallons of fuel and oil when it happens.

there is an age limit here also- 1967 or older.

Due to IP issues and non-stop lift pump failures the lift pump may or may not have been hard wired to the ignition at the time. Maybe I would have taken the time to shut it off before figuring out what direction to RUN.

Weak springs could have saved a life or two when the governor failed on mine - as it broke one valve spring, galled a camshaft lobe, cracked 8 pistons, and bent all the valves to where only the cylinder with a broken valve spring met minimum compression. The engine quit gaining RPM as it lost compression north of 4000+ RPM. (3600 RPM Redline, Eh.) It then smoked white badly and would not come up to the Snap Test full RPM very fast. It ran great till that emission test day. It still ran and I spent a couple of years trying to figure out what had happened with repairs.

Valve springs are a very common overlooked part few with these motors even think about, NEW stock springs just barely have the need pressure rates to hover around "float", add 200K miles and they fall very short..

Some don't consider boost pressure pushing on the intake ALL the time open or closed, that applies to the exhaust, only that pressure is around 2x the boost psi.... so when testing spring rates that needs to be added into the mix... this is the primary reason I took the time to R&D new springs with PAC Racing Springs...

Just a little more info in the valve train area..

The cams are all the same, from the very first 6.2 to present day 6.x, proven with cam doctor data, ie, specked for n/a applications..

Valve springs have never changed, they were first specked for n/a 6.2 applications and have not changed, they were never specked for turbo and back pressure..

Inquiring minds want to know :cool:

Back