• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil filter thread looked bad and metal flakes Napa Gold what would u do?

schiker

Reaction score
So what do ya'll do when you buy filter(s)? I immediately open the box and look at 'em. I look at the gasket, threads, how its made, and appearance/cleanliness/age.

Just the other day I stopped by a Napa to buy thier Gold filter (made by wix). I open the box and the threads look rough. The last thread last 1/4 of thread looks more like a burr than thread jagged, very thin, and bent. The metal looks dirty so I gingerly wipe my fingers around the hole and thread (very gingerly thinking its going to cut my finger). When I pull my finger out its dirty with a few shiny metal flakes? I say no thanks thats a bad lot of filters. The guy looks at me like I am jerk. I bet he put them back on shelf and thought I was looney.

Went to Oriely's and the Wix filter looks very clean thread is much better.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Parts counter people can have a bad attitude over defective filters. I do them a favor and write BAD on the box. Helps the next guy. There was a filter with a defective return label on the shelf the parts guy handed me and then "Oops!"

I did have a Wix fuel filter fail on me at the WIF threads. IMO bad re-design of the original.

Yeah, always check parts because you never know when the factory tool broke and that production lot missed quality control.

I usually get NAPA golds, and have had no issues, but this last tome i got the fancy purolator (yellow bedliner coated). Coming up on an oil change when my truck starts to move again.

I've had similar problems on my fuel water seperater I got at napa for my Dyed Diesel tank. The first filter base I got handed had a casting flaw where the filter seal meshes. Then the filters were faulty due to a bad batch and it took me 5 filters before they listened to me, saved my receipts and I got a refund and new base since I over tightened it and pulled the threads eventually.

Also had a batch of oil filters for my swather leak around the seal due to bad quality and they said that NEVER happens. I guess a farmer had complained about it too and lost oil pressure on his engine eventually and the dealer was stuck with the engine rebuild and refund for the filters lol. I got a call and they said they reimbursed 10 filters to my account sorry for the trouble! Lucky I check my oil EVERYDAY

You may want to call WIX and give them the info. They may be more proactive saving themselves the cost of ruined engines than the min wage person behind the counter.

I had a baldwin that the threads were all boogered up, it wouldnt thread on, luckily I keep a few on the shelf at all times and it was just the one I found bad.

I've never encountered a filter with bad threads.

In the independant tests I have seen, Napa Golds didn't fair to well. Baldwin and Mobile 1 oil filters were at the top of the pack. I don't remember what else

I have seen the threads look poor a couple of times or at least different at a glance. Usually they look blunted (squarish peak) and shallow like the hole was too big.

The Oreiley's Wix name brand boxed filter looked so much better. In contrast the threads were fully formed, smooth, and clean start and finish. The metal was cleaner looking and overall the filter looked fresher like it hadn't sat on the shelf for a long time.

The smudgy stuff with shiney metal flakes on the threads is what really bothered me and I felt unacceptable.

Back