• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Cooler Line Repair

Several weeks ago, one of my hoses started leaking on the metal line itself. Seems that a bracket rubbed a small hole in the line. Naturally, I discovered this at mom & dad's house in OKC. About 325 miles from home. :eek: The puddle didn't seem too big. So, I headed to the house, stopping every hour to check the oil level. No prob, made it OK. Back home (Tyler, TX), first thing I did was contact Leroy for one of his oil cooler kits. Come to find out, he's near Houston, so two days later I've got the kit sitting in my mailbox. Changing out the hoses was not a big deal; everything came loose pretty easily. Routed the new hoses per Leroy's suggestion: angle the 90 degree adapters so that they point slightly down and away from the exhaust manifold. Run the hoses themselves underneath the driver's side motor mount, over the steering box and up under the grill. Looked good. The oil cooler itself is well-constructed and darn near identical to the OEM setup. This means everything fits and there's no surprises.

Well, actually, there was one surprise. Three of the four fittings leaked at the crimp! :confused: Contacted Leroy. He listened to my tale of woe, apologized for the problem, then told me to send them back. He would immediately get a set of upgraded SS hoses headed my way. Sure 'nuff, two days later, there's another box sitting at the house. The SS hoses are beautiful, fit like a champ and worked perfectly!! :D I finished installing them Thursday morning and that afternoon I was headed back to OKC to help our daughter move. One thousand miles later, not one drop of oil under the truck or anywhere else.

Gotta tell ya, Leroy is an outstanding vendor. He builds a quality product and backs it 120%. Thje cooler upgrade was a great investment and Leroy was a great choice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, i hear ya on the rust thing, we have a lot of that here.... I am going to buy a kit here in the next few weeks for the new toy, but i NEED stainless.

Oil cooler/hose kits

The vendor's kits look to be an excellent value. A single purchase w/ no chasing down the various fittings at a cost tough to beat. And designed for the quick, straightforward installation w/ no surprises.

The only thing I didn't like about the stock setup & the aftermarket kits is the 90 degree bends.

Since I've collected a selection of braided ss hose & AN fittings over the years, I opted to build my own. Bought the standard 48 plate/fin cooler to add some oil cooling capacity & modded the stock brackets to mount it in the same location. 45 degree hose ends make nice smooth bends out of the cooler. This approach is almost certain to be more expensive than the kits & takes a bit of time/tweaking so it's also not as straight forward as the kits.

I'd hoped to also improve on the 90 degree block fittings but wasn't able to find fittings that made a tight enough radius bend to clear the exhaust manifold & still flow better than the 90 fittings. The brass colored fitting in the attached pic shows the fittings I settled on.

If anybody could find/source block fittings that made a smoother bend, it would seem to be an incremental improvement, but there may not be a cost-effective, smoother curve fitting out there.

Attachments

• modded 4x4 filter adapter b.jpg
    modded 4x4 filter adapter b.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 36
Several weeks ago, one of my hoses started leaking on the metal line itself. Seems that a bracket rubbed a small hole in the line. Naturally, I discovered this at mom & dad's house in OKC. About 325 miles from home. :eek: The puddle didn't seem too big. So, I headed to the house, stopping every hour to check the oil level. No prob, made it OK. Back home (Tyler, TX), first thing I did was contact Leroy for one of his oil cooler kits. Come to find out, he's near Houston, so two days later I've got the kit sitting in my mailbox. Changing out the hoses was not a big deal; everything came loose pretty easily. Routed the new hoses per Leroy's suggestion: angle the 90 degree adapters so that they point slightly down and away from the exhaust manifold. Run the hoses themselves underneath the driver's side motor mount, over the steering box and up under the grill. Looked good. The oil cooler itself is well-constructed and darn near identical to the OEM setup. This means everything fits and there's no surprises.
Well, actually, there was one surprise. Three of the four fittings leaked at the crimp! :confused: Contacted Leroy. He listened to my tale of woe, apologized for the problem, then told me to send them back. He would immediately get a set of upgraded SS hoses headed my way. Sure 'nuff, two days later, there's another box sitting at the house. The SS hoses are beautiful, fit like a champ and worked perfectly!! :D I finished installing them Thursday morning and that afternoon I was headed back to OKC to help our daughter move. One thousand miles later, not one drop of oil under the truck or anywhere else.

Gotta tell ya, Leroy is an outstanding vendor. He builds a quality product and backs it 120%. Thje cooler upgrade was a great investment and Leroy was a great choice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Dave. As a result of the problem you/we had on those hoses I am not even going to offer them anymore. I am going to upgrade the kit to include SS lines, but keep the price the same.

Must be something about the clamping method onto the SS lines that makes people alot more confident about them?

Perhaps SS lines strongest points are the joints, not the SS itself?

I like to use that type of plumbing in applications like oil lines where a hose failure can have really bad/expensive consequences. It's not cheap, but it is highly reliable.

The reusable hose ends of the quality brands do clamp & seal very well. The outer SS braiding adds good protection against anything abrading thru the hose & causing a failure. Flipside of that coin is the SS sheath itself will happily grind into things around it - in a situation where the line moves a bit & it's mistakenly routed/mounted touching something.

I'm seeing more & more racers going to the lighter nylon braided hoses. A little lower pressure specs, but easier to work with.

After plumbing projects w/ AN fittings for a while, 'ya build up a selection of fittings & hose on-hand. Then it becomes very handy to have things plumbed in a more standardized way than the range of different OEM plumbing methods. You can fix or fabricate what you need without the parts store run.

One thing bad about the stainless lines is its hard to find a leak. My tractor had stainless fuel lines. It acted like it had a small fuel leak. The rubber was dryrotted under the stainless but I couldnt see it. While driving down the road it finaly let go.

My HS auto shop teacher had a stainless fuel line on his car because it looked cool. The ground strap to the engine broke and the new stainless gas line became the ground strap. It couldnt take the load of the starter and heated up red hot. Im sure you can imagine what happened after that.

One thing bad about the stainless lines is its hard to find a leak. My tractor had stainless fuel lines. It acted like it had a small fuel leak. The rubber was dryrotted under the stainless but I couldnt see it. While driving down the road it finaly let go.

My HS auto shop teacher had a stainless fuel line on his car because it looked cool. The ground strap to the engine broke and the new stainless gas line became the ground strap. It couldnt take the load of the starter and heated up redhot. Im sure you can imagine what happened after that.

My stainless lines are not lined with rubber, rather plastic/teflon, rated to 1000 degrees IIRC.

Also, I'm not so sure I'd want nylon sleeved due to the proximity to the manifold. That's why I didn't want rubber as well. It might be OK, I don't know.

Back