• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil additives...

installing a provent 200 crankcase breather and eliminating the CDR will help if there is any blow by. it will catch any oil coming from the crankcase and keep if from going into the turbo or at least help better than the CDR will. setup a drain back hose into the block somewhere or leave the hose so you can drain it every so oftin and pour it back into the engine reducing oil consumption. Amazon sells a knock off version that comes with a wire mesh filter. toss that in file 13 and buy the real replacement filter for it.

the only oil additive that would help any if there is low compression is Restore. it has some additive like copper and what not that is supposed to stick to the cylinder walls and fill in scratches helping with a weak cylinder and blow by, but if you do any oil analysis this stuff will set off the red alert with the analysis. reading will go off the charts for metals in the oil.

Seeing as the topic of filtration came up.

If the Burb has 4WD and still has the filter in its OE location, definitely get a remote filter kit. Am not sure what mind altering substance the GM engineers did the day they finalized that design. Nastiest and worst oil changes I ever experienced.

Installed a remote filter and life was back to normal.

installing a provent 200 crankcase breather and eliminating the CDR will help if there is any blow by. it will catch any oil coming from the crankcase and keep if from going into the turbo or at least help better than the CDR will. setup a drain back hose into the block somewhere or leave the hose so you can drain it every so oftin and pour it back into the engine reducing oil consumption. Amazon sells a knock off version that comes with a wire mesh filter. toss that in file 13 and buy the real replacement filter for it.

the only oil additive that would help any if there is low compression is Restore. it has some additive like copper and what not that is supposed to stick to the cylinder walls and fill in scratches helping with a weak cylinder and blow by, but if you do any oil analysis this stuff will set off the red alert with the analysis. reading will go off the charts for metals in the oil.
Where did you mount the ProVent?

I use a brand of stuff called Liqui-Moly.
It is a product that adds and builds platelet to bearing surfaces.
Nasty black looking stuff. I dont know what it will do to an oil sample thats sent in for testing but I’m about to find out, I think.
I sent off an oil sample to Black Stone about a week or two ago, results have not yet came back in.
This is the first sample on this engine, 266,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back