• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No Start

Craiglabor92

Reaction score
The trouble started when I forgot and left a T-shirt in the air intake for protection from stuff in the air.
while I was trying to check AC refrigerant leaks.
Well, when I started the engine it died out pretty quick. Being absented I started it a second time with
the same results before I realized that I had sucked the T-shirt down the intake tube. Ittook forever to
fish the T-shirt out, but it was still fully intact. That was when it went from a hard start
to a no star condition which is where I am now. We have pumped the primer several times and fuel does
get to the filter okay. IF I can find the high pressure pump I am going to check if fuel is getting to it.
Does anyone know if I have caused any kind of damage by this dumb goof? The starter spins great!

Could it have set a code on the ECM and shut down the engine from further damage? I'm not sure if the d-max systems are capable of a fail safe shut-down condition other than just a de-rate. you might throw a scanner on it and see if anything shows.

Could it have set a code on the ECM and shut down the engine from further damage? I'm not sure if the d-max systems are capable of a fail safe shut-down condition other than just a de-rate. you might throw a scanner on it and see if anything shows.
I only have a code reader that shows "No Code" This GMC C-5500 Topkick has been just sitting and rusting for several months. The license tag expired several months ago so I can't drive to a service center for scanning. Buick partsman says the High pressure pump is on top ine V section. I'll keep looking.

pull all the air filter tubing off and carefully inspect the turbo impeller and any sensors that are in the tubing or intake for damage. if any are damaged like @Will L. said, the MAF (mass airflow sensor) or IAT (intake air temp) could be damaged to the point that one is shorting the 5v reference from the ECM, that would kill all of the engine sensors including any crank and cam sensors.

not to mention where was the shirt right before it sucked it in? would it have caught any of the wiring in that area pulling any connectors loose that could cause a no start condition?

post some pics of the engine bay and areas the shirt went in, also the shirt laid out. inspect everything, even the shirt for the tiniest missing pieces.

Back