• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No Start!

I got a 05lly that has a crank no start. Was driving just fine and it was like we just reached up and turned the truck off. Absolutely no codes what so ever. Have tested everything we can find or think of to test but still nothing. Truck has efi live, cold air intake, and fast fuel system. Rebuilt the fas system and the factory fuel filter housing bleed all the air out. It won't even start w a very conservative shot of either. Just cranks faster. Anyone have any ideas?

I got a 05lly that has a crank no start. Was driving just fine and it was like we just reached up and turned the truck off. Absolutely no codes what so ever. Have tested everything we can find or think of to test but still nothing. Truck has efi live, cold air intake, and fast fuel system. Rebuilt the fas system and the factory fuel filter housing bleed all the air out. It won't even start w a very conservative shot of either. Just cranks faster. Anyone have any ideas?
If you get an answer I'd sure like to see it!

Gotta have you start at basics if you added starting fluid but got nothing.
Is crank speed good, is compression good?

Because adding starting fluid takes a fueling problem out- unless you were so conservative it wasn’t enough.

My owners handbook says that with the Duramax LLY having glow plugs either should not be used>
Correct it “shouldn’t be”
But it happens a lot.
Since it is not an idi diesel, it can withstand it. People just have to be smart enough to unplug the fuse for the plugs and understand they are shortening the life of the plugs.

When doing it a couple times for diagnostic purposes AND using care its no biggie. But for people to spray a ton and do it daily is the problem.

I've watched guys in the shop at my work run diesels off ether just to get the fuel systems primed when all else failed. one day one of the new guys there stood in front of the cabover truck with a can spraying constantly into the intake while another guy was in the cab on the pedal. I hid behind the parts counter that overlooks the shop watching at the shop filled with smoke and listening to the LOUD clatter thinking the whole time "She's gonna blow any second" the cabover had an old Cummins N14. LOL it was a scene from "hold my beer and watch this" book!!

make sure your glow plugs are not being used when using ether (starting fluid) but only use that as a last stitch effort, because it doesn't take much of a squirt to make it go BOOM! and never run again...

I actually wish there was some less potent starter fluid made specifically for diesels, something we could safely use on our trucks!

The mechanic with his $8,000 said no. My TOPDON scanner only cost about $400.
and I am still learning to use it. It shows glow plug problem, but that and the
right rear wheel speed sensor DTC should not keep it from starting.

Then you need to check the injectors for returning too much fuel, if that's in spec then its probably a failed injection pump. Your 100% certain you got all the air out of the fuel system?

Return rate for injectors are no more than 3ml per 15 seconds of cranking, If you do the whole bank at one time them no more than 12ml/15 seconds of cranking on each bank.

Injection pump should be no more than 20ml/15 seconds of cranking.

I have no idea about these specs. I have the lift pump assembly here in my shed now,
and finally got the two filters off. I have to go to Ace hardware forenough parts to
rig up 12 VDC to run the pump momentarily in diesel fuel to see if it is good or bad.
I won't get all this done until next week due to the thanksgiving Holidays.
Thanks a bunch for the interest!

I have no idea about these specs. I have the lift pump assembly here in my shed now,
and finally got the two filters off. I have to go to Ace hardware forenough parts to
rig up 12 VDC to run the pump momentarily in diesel fuel to see if it is good or bad.
I won't get all this done until next week due to the thanksgiving Holidays.
Thanks a bunch for the interest!
How did the filters look?

Any possibility they were plugged?

Back