• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Newbie Old guy

Maddog57

Reaction score
New member 65 years old with 1996 Chevy K2500 with 6.5l gm diesel. Its been pretty reliable but you just don’t know when it won’t be. When it breaks I’m on my own in Southeast Ohio, I asked the mechanic I use if he’d work on it, he just laughs, so came here to look around.

Welcome.
There is definitely things to check before they fail and cost an engine.
Myself and a couple others can “just in case” price you to the moon. So learn a lot check a couple things out right away but don’t buy unless needed until you make a complete gameplan.

Oil cooler hose leak - when you see seeping = times up. Replace them with new or aftermarket depending on preference.

Harmonic balancer failure is common and can break the block/ crankshaft.
Best to replace every 100,000 miles- two options when ya get to that point.

Ect (engine coolant temperature) is #1 killer of this engine.
200 ok
210 watch the gauge more than the road
220 pull over and let it idle back to normal.
To top it off, factory gauge is junk…

When did that happen? You were just 62 the other day?!?
Some people claim four and five birthdays a year, they like the cake, ice cream and how many 6.5 presents they get at each setting.
I heard about one guy that built an entire Harley Davidson motorcicle in four years time from claiming several birthdays a year. 😹😹😹😹
Oh wait, I forgot what this thread was alla bout, alla this talk of birthdays, cakes and ice cream, welcome to the forum MadDog.

@Maddog57 welcome to TTS.. always glad to meet new members.. just be careful these guys are 6.5 addicts,,. They'll help you spend your retirement on truck parts if you let them😂😂😂 it's a great bunch of guys and look forward to your posts..

Some of us have a list of passwords in our phone. Doing something like pig latin so if the phone gets nabbed- they can’t put in the passwords correctly.
Having them written down and locked away somewhere other than a normal safe so a thief cant use them is found is smart too incase the phone gets lost.

Back