• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New toy for the 6.5 to pull around...

bfourman

Reaction score
Pulled home a 'new' travel trailer for the family last week. It's a 87 Coachmen Coventry 25' bunkhouse. We have 3 small kids and immediately loved the floorplan in this trailer. They each have their own bed and we still have plenty of living space. I'll post interior pics later tonight, the trailer is currently at the tire shop having the mismatched car tires replaced with load range D trailer tires. I bought a WDH in anticipation of getting a TT this year, but the Coachmen doesn't squat the truck hardly at all. I'm still going to use it anyway for peace of mind.

Considering the condition it's in for being 24 years old, I didn't think I did too bad for $3400.

Here's a couple exterior pics of the whole rig (and yes all 3 kids ride in the ext cab :thumbsup:):

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

Nice find.. Camping is a great time. I love doing it.

Nice find, the trailer looks like it's in great shape. Hopefully you and your family will have many good times in it. I know I love using my trailer, if you haven't seen the thread of heard some of the stories about it you'll come to find out I've become a very vavid user of the thing, including a few trips in the snow.

Mine was a bit more of a mess to start with... I did lots of rebuilding. Check out the thread, you might get some ideas from it. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...Restoration-Project-88GMCtruck-is-at-it-again.

Thanks. We have camped in popups for several years, but I got tired of the up and down game every time we set up camp. The last two I had broke a lift cable on me also, so this time around we upgraded.

88gmctruck I read your thread from front to back a while ago, you certainly put some quality work into your Nomad! I'm hoping I don't have to do near as much to the Coachmen, but if I do I'll probably use your thread as reference.

that is a really cool layout for an older trailer...:)

and in great shape at that!

that was probably cutting edge technology for it's time...:thumbsup:

that is a really cool layout for an older trailer...:)

and in great shape at that!

that was probably cutting edge technology for it's time...:thumbsup:

Yeah, as soon as we saw it I knew we would have to have it or one just like it. They're really hard to find with that layout, seems like only a handful were made. Most travel trailers of that vintage had a single rear bedroom, kitchen and fold out couch. With the 3 little ones, we needed as many beds as we could get.

That is a very cool floorplan, should be perfect for the kids. It looks like its in really good shape.

May I suggest during the next rain check throughly for leaks, particularly in the corners and under cabinets. You may want to go around and re-seal some things. I can tell you the way trailers are stick built really sucks. You get any leaks, the moisture gets in and really destroys things quickly.

Yep, it has been raining off and on here the last few days and we've checked it. One other plus is we actually looked at this camper in the fall, but had to try and sell our popup before buying. It sat outside at the RV dealer all winter and was dry as a bone when we went to finally make the purchase. The week before we bought it we had 3-4" of rain, so I'm pretty confident it's sealed well. I'll keep an eye on it for sure, just like my truck I want this thing to last as long as it can :D

Nice camper with an excellent layout. For what you paid for it I do believe you did just fine on your purchase. Enjoy your camping trips.

Finally got the rig out last weekend. Everything worked great, only slip up happened when I didn't realize the freshwater low point drain valve was missing and dumped out all 50 gallons of freshwater our first night. Fixed that first thing when we got home and it's ready to go out again next weekend!

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

Nice score... good lookin' trailer! I really like the layout; it should he really functional for you and the family. (good lookin' family too, BTW!)

We had a series of pop-ups too, and got tired of always setting them up or down in the damn rain, then setting them up in the garage so the canvas would dry properly.

Congrats ... You are really gonna enjoy this!

bfourman, looks like a great camping area you were at. Is that some type of state or GOV. type campground? I do some primitive camping in a campground that has the fire pits similar to that.

Nice score... good lookin' trailer! I really like the layout; it should he really functional for you and the family. (good lookin' family too, BTW!)

Thanks, that's only 2 of the family, my son was napping inside and my other daughter was at Grandma's for the weekend.

bfourman, looks like a great camping area you were at. Is that some type of state or GOV. type campground? I do some primitive camping in a campground that has the fire pits similar to that.

It was a state park campground. All of the state parks in Indiana have those fire rings. It is a really nice CG, all of the sites are in the woods and most have plenty of space between them. We avoid the 'open field' type CGs, that's not camping IMO.

Nice to have some trees for some shade and it seems to make it feel more like camping in the woods that way. I don't think I would like open field camping with campers parked close to each other.

Back