• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to the site.... Howdy All.

pupedog7

Reaction score
I have wanted to up grade my truck, and i'm looking for ideas. Both DIY and purchased products, nothing too radical. My upgrades so far are listed below...

1. Removed intake tube from inner fender.
2. K&N filter in factory air box.
3. Tapered intake tube
4. Mand. bent down pipe and cross over
5. 3.5" from down back (no cat or muffler)
6. Hypertech chip (not installed yet) 45hp/60ft lbs

Just would like to know what has worked best for you folks and what hasn't. Not looking for a sales pitch and wish to start no arguements among diesel friends over this works better than that.

Last edited:
Welcome

Have you verified your timing yet? That made a pretty big change in mine, setting the TDCO mine was at +0.35 the 1st time I checked it, dropped it electronically to 0.18 and then adjusted my IP & now it is set at -1.94.

Welcome friend! You are at the right place. Find USER CP from the top of this PAGE and then select Edit Signature so we know what type of Truck you have!

Hypertech does not make a chip for a 6.5TD to my knowledge but you say you have one ??? Please elaborate on that.. Your choices are actually pretty limited. Heath Diesel, westers(Kennedy and SS sell that one AFAIK) and Kojo sold here by one of our vendors. I personally like Heath's tune. As far as Down pipe and crossover the best deal is the Flowmaster kit. Summit racing sells it for 120$ for both. Awesome quality. I have purchased a few of them. A heath Turbo master mech watse gate is a must.

Welcome aboard!
Say...is that your truck under your username??
I didn't know we could do that here...better go have a look-see.

I have wanted to up grade my truck, and i'm looking for ideas. Both DIY and purchased products, nothing too radical. My upgrades so far are listed below...

1. Removed intake tube from inner fender.
2. K&N filter in factory air box.
3. Tapered intake tube
4. Mand. bent down pipe and cross over
5. 3.5" from down back (no cat or muffler)
6. Hypertech chip (not installed yet) 45hp/60ft lbs

Just would like to know what has worked best for you folks and what hasn't. Not looking for a sales pitch and wish to start no arguements among diesel friends over this works better than that.
Hypertech does not make a chip for a 6.5TD to my knowledge but you say you have one ??? Please elaborate on that..

The chip is from hypertech, they no longer produce them. I found that i work with the previous owners wife, and she said they had some parts they had removed from the truck before trading it in. One of the item was the chip still in its orig. package. I called hypertech tech line and gave him the serial # and he told me everything from when and where it was purchased to what the orig. price was.

Have you verified your timing yet? That made a pretty big change in mine, setting the TDCO mine was at +0.35 the 1st time I checked it, dropped it electronically to 0.18 and then adjusted my IP & now it is set at -1.94.

Don't know how or what tools are needed to do this job...

If you are going to keep the truck for awhile and work on it...Being a 94..It is OBD1.
A must have..
www.enghmotors.com
Get full version of GMTDScan. There are many theads here on it you can read. it is the one and only tool for setting timing and diagnosing a 94-95 6.5TD short of a GM Tech1/2 which are big buck. The software works really good.

Is the link you put up for purchase of software to communicate with the trucks computer?
Yes, It is a software program to connect a laptop to your truck:thumbsup::thumbsup: It works great and is only a fraction of what a tech2 would cost. Many of us 94-95 owners here have it. You need to get either engh's connecting cable or some other one. I got the program on cd in case my laptop crashes or dies.

Don't know how or what tools are needed to do this job...

Here's a start:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11754

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=24149

You're OBDI, so you can disregard all the OBDII stuff.

Oh yeah:

Welcome to TTS.....:thumbsup:

welcome to the site! In my opinion, this is the finest establishment a 6.5L owner could ever find! their advice is dead on, and they are some pretty bright lightbulbs in the bunch.

have fun!

Back