• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Goodies

durallymax

Reaction score
Well yesterday was a pretty sad day around our farm with my mom passing, but late in the day the UPS guy showed up with my christmas present to me, and cheered me up quick. Im finally starting to build my own tool collection now. And from working on stuff for so long I knew a quality set of ratchets was key.

I ended up liking the Matco 88s and bought 5 of them.

1/2" Dr. 17" Locking Flex

3/8" Dr 12" Locking Flex

1/4" Dr. 6" Locking Flex

3/8" Dr. 5" Flex

1/4" Dr. 4.5" Flex (Backordered, not in picture)

And I also got a 1/2" Dr. 24" breaker bar.

IMAG0025.jpg

And I wanted to see why these ratchets were worth 20 times more than others. So I took apart one of the farms $10 Allen 1/2" Drive ratchets and compared it to my Matco 88 tooth. Big difference.

IMAG0022.jpg

Yep, what AK said, but I know ratchets are a personal thing and if they please you they tickle the heck out of me.:thumbsup:;):eek:

Those look nice, have a beautiful finish, and should last a life time. I've never heard of Matco. Where did you get them? I don't know if I'd like the plastic end handle or not. Seems like it would get greasy and be hard to clean up. The rest of the wrench should clean up really nice.

The fine teeth means it can hold way more torque before the mechanism breaks. Lots more surface area for the spindle to press against. It also means you can work with only a few inches on either side and be able to use the ratchet mechanism, as there is much less space between each tooth.

soooo other than 1 being coarse and 1 being fine toothed the diff is?

Finish quality,

Gear precision

Completely o-ring sealed to keep junk out

Locking flex-head

Very thin profile head

Those look nice, have a beautiful finish, and should last a life time. I've never heard of Matco. Where did you get them? I don't know if I'd like the plastic end handle or not. Seems like it would get greasy and be hard to clean up. The rest of the wrench should clean up really nice.

Got them from Matco rep. The soft grip handle is still kinda so so to me. Its nice sometimes, because you can grip it better with oily hands, but it is kinda bulky and it doesnt clean up too well. But it is comfortable. I did an LB7 turbo job with the 3/8" flex head, never wouldve thought about doing it with the ratchets we have on the farm, the trans or cab wouldve been coming out/off.

The fine teeth means it can hold way more torque before the mechanism breaks. Lots more surface area for the spindle to press against. It also means you can work with only a few inches on either side and be able to use the ratchet mechanism, as there is much less space between each tooth.

Exactly. Think axle shafts. a 38spline shaft has smaller "teeth" than a 30 spline shaft yet it has more contact points.

Think of a 12 point bolt head versus a 6 point. a 12 point doesnt round off nearly as easy as a 6 point, and thus can handle more force because it has more contact points.

Bottom line: Ive been using these for 4 days now and love them. Snap On 1/2" and 3/8" impacts are coming and im leaving now to go to Harbor Freight To Get a US General tool box.

So im in love with my MG725 1/2" Impact. Havent found a bolt it cant break loose or just plain break. Its got some serious nuts. And its very lightweight and comfy. Everybody in the shop keeps wanting to use it because the shops impacts wont get the job done.

Ive been using it on two of our semis that live in the rust. I never would've thought of using a 1/2" for breaking lug nuts loose on our semis, but this thing works great for that, breaks them loose faster than the 3/4" and runs them off quicker and I dont go deaf. Plus I dont get tired holding a heavy 3/4" gun.

What are the torque ratings on that Vinny? What compressor psi? I assume you are using 3/8 hose and fittings or do you guys have 1/2"

Snap on 1/2" is rated for 1190lb-ft @90psi, CP 3/4" is rated for 1000lb-ft @90psi. We run 1/2" hose to the CP and 3/8" hose to my Snap on. Compressor psi is a little higher at 100psi.

"Snap on 1/2" is rated for 1190lb-ft @90psi"
Holy SHIT!:eek: No wonder you love it... I would too!

Back