• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New gauges - 1 problem

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I just got done installing my egt, turbo, & fuel pressure gauges. The problem is the turbo gauge is hitting 6 psi max. I didn't hook up my scan tool but I know the boost is higher than it reads. WOT maxes out at 6 psi. Aside from the gauge being the problem where should I look for the problem. Could a slight bend or kink in the hose cause the problem?

Thanks,

When I did my gauges, I had a similar issue. It was the compression fitting on the gauge line. The ferrule was damaged. Replaced it and not a problem since.

When I did my gauges, I had a similar issue. It was the compression fitting on the gauge line. The ferrule was damaged. Replaced it and not a problem since.

Is the ferrule the little tapered brass ring that goes over the hose?

What are you using for wastegate control? stock? if so, that boost pressure is right on the money according to Bill Heath "This type uses a vacume pump, computer conrolled solenoid valve and vacume canister to apply pressure to the waste gate lever. Boost ranges from 5-7 psi with this system.".... got that from his website.

If you're running stock you need to either build your own or purchase a Turbo Master. Then you'll see 14-15 psi.
Your sig doesn't indicate it but (even with removing the soot trap) you need a bigger exhaust...and at least get rid of that crumpled up downpipe that GM decided would be really neat to run over with a fork lift before installing.

What are you using for wastegate control? stock? if so, that boost pressure is right on the money according to Bill Heath "This type uses a vacume pump, computer conrolled solenoid valve and vacume canister to apply pressure to the waste gate lever. Boost ranges from 5-7 psi with this system.".... got that from his website.

If you're running stock you need to either build your own or purchase a Turbo Master. Then you'll see 14-15 psi.

I have a heath t/m. The spring is set at 1 7/8".

In a few days of driving the leaking boost will probably end up showing its ugly face in the form of blackness. At least mine did. I was leaking at the tap location, however not enough to limit boost on the gauge. Don't overtighten these little brass fittings either.

In a few days of driving the leaking boost will probably end up showing its ugly face in the form of blackness. At least mine did. I was leaking at the tap location, however not enough to limit boost on the gauge. Don't overtighten these little brass fittings either.

Are you talking about over tightening the upper or lower part of the fitting or both? That is possible that I over tightened it. If I did over tighten it will I need to replace them?

Yes, if you over tighten them, replace them. They are cheap!

When you over tighten them you change the shape and distort them.

I would just replace it all.

But, I am mainly talking about the brass tapered fitting part.

I have a heath t/m. The spring is set at 1 7/8".

ok, then back to checking for leaks. I agree with the rest, replace those brass fittings if you think you overtightened them.
Also, if you're using the hard plastic line for the boost gauge, make dang sure you didn't kink it in the process of installation. Those lines kink very easy and usually will result in two pin holes where it folded. I did that to mine(twice) while pulling it through the firewall....chunked that crap in the garbage and used clear rubber hose from Tractor Supply - works great.

Oh, I just realized that you have to be using hard lines or you wouldn't be using compression fittings....(brass lines maybe? that would be better than plastic).

ok, then back to checking for leaks. I agree with the rest, replace those brass fittings if you think you overtightened them.
Also, if you're using the hard plastic line for the boost gauge, make dang sure you didn't kink it in the process of installation. Those lines kink very easy and usually will result in two pin holes where it folded. I did that to mine(twice) while pulling it through the firewall....chunked that crap in the garbage and used clear rubber hose from Tractor Supply - works great.

Oh, I just realized that you have to be using hard lines or you wouldn't be using compression fittings....(brass lines maybe? that would be better than plastic).

I am using the clear rubber hose. I have it connected w/ a clamp on the gauge barb and a pressure fitting in the center of the upper intake.

I just replaced the brass pressure fitting. I hit 6 psi on the gauge. I had my AE connected and it read a max of 11 psi while out driving around. I can't find any leaks. I did notice a clicking at idle. I looked at the gauge and the needle was flickering back and forth (all movements were within 1/16 of an inch max). I'm wondering if that is okay or maybe faulty. Any thoughts?

11 sounds more right based on similar TM settings. If there is no kinks, perhaps you have a defective gauge.

Remove the line and blow your breath in there see what happens, it should go up easily.

11 sounds more right based on similar TM settings. If there is no kinks, perhaps you have a defective gauge.

Remove the line and blow your breath in there see what happens, it should go up easily.

I am going to take my pressure gauge that I got from Harbor Frt and connect it to the tube in the cab and see what it reads. That will tell me if there is a leak somewhere I can't see.

I took my fuel pressure/vacuum gauge and connected it to the hose in the cab and got 10 psi no problem. Looks like the gauge itself.

Back