• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New fan clutch, duramax fan, and t-stats (with pictures)

ghostrider500

Always stirrin' the pot
Reaction score
Finally got my act together and swapped out my fan clutch with a Hayden severe duty, my OEM 9 blade 20" fan with a Dmax composite, and new AC Delco stats. First, I have a side by side comparison of the swapped parts:
fans.jpg

Then the old on top of the new. Not much of a difference, but I had to shim the turbo "silencer" to make sure it stayed out of harms way. I should just delete it. New fan fit in with no trimming.
fan on fan.jpg

When I went to clean the gap between the rads I was treated to a rats' nest that had to surely be choking the life out of my truck.
radiator out.jpg

Cleaned it all out, sprayed water and cleaner through the rads left in place, and cleaned the big radiator outside. A before pic of the radiator:
radiator before cleaning.jpg

Buttoned it all back up and installed the new AC Delco stats. Now my gauge stays stuck on the big notch between 160 and 210 no matter what I'm doing with the truck although I haven't towed the fifth wheel with it yet. Happy it all worked like it should.

What temp T-Stats....195*?

Yes, 195* stats. BTW, got them from Rock Auto, their picture is a stock photo and not actual.

Jorge6.5
Is that dmax fan and clutch bigger then your stock unit? Looks that way from the pics

The clutch seems to be the same size, but the fan is definitely bigger. The blades are longer and wider. But it fit with no problem.

Gonna get one "Johnny Cash" style.

LOL I like that reference!

FWIW it is a good idea to clean that gap in between the radiators every spring. Keeps temps in check.

... I purchased a new fan clutch this spring and I have yet to hear the fan engage since the coolant has not broken the 200F mark!

Update to the finished project....hooked up the fiver this weekend and pulled it out to a campsite about 30 miles away. Made for a good test run and if anything went bad I would be close to home. So the terrain out there is undulating hills all the way to the campsite. Before the truck would heat up close to the 210* marl on the stock gauge and the fan would never engage. Now, I actually see when the thermostats open as the temp drops down to the fat side of the 185* mark when the truck warms up. And then the best part; the gauge NEVER moved from there even on the bigger hills. Holy crap, my truck has never run this cool ever!!
Of course now I think of all the possible stress I put on the old girl all these years of running hot. Here's a picture of the rig I was pulling, it says it is only 6100 lbs. dry, but I have my doubts as its 31' with a 12' slide.

truckcamper1.jpeg
truckcamper2.jpeg

Anyway, extremely happy with the results. I do wonder if I had just cleaned the rads out, put in new stats, that I probably wouldn't have had to put in a new fan clutch and fan.

More is better anyhow on the cooling side of things Mark. Glad to see the results are all good!

Last fifth wheel I had said 6500 dry, no genny. About the same size as yours, with all tanks full of water--main, grey and black, added an Onan and gas plus propane fill up...actual across the scales at 8955---BEFORE it was packed up for a trip. By the time my wife and I got done, 13620. After dump, 12740 ready to roll. This was trailer only--ag country scale so I was able to drop the trailer on the scales with no hassle. Trailer was tagged 12k and I figured no way, til I weighed it and found it over that--AND, what my wife called "skimpy".

Learned a lesson, don't pack too much heavy stuff over the truck bed--you can get the front of the trailer VERY heavy, VERY easy.

Ya gotta remember fluids aren't light. Water weighs 10 pounds per imperiaL gallon. for a 50 gallon tank, that's 500 lbs. Even our portable Honda genny is 75 lbs. Add in another 80 lbs for a 9.9 outboard. You can see it doesn't take much to really get the weight up there. We also tow our trailer with no water and empty holding tanks. I stop and fill things just before we get to the campsite.

Back