• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mystery bolt...

BigBlue

Reaction score
When I removed the front protection plate from under the radiator to get access to the harmonic balancer, I found a loose bolt on top of the plate...with washer and all...

If any of you can remember/recognize pulling one of these from somewhere around the front of a 6.5L, I'd be grateful to know where it's from!! I couldn't find any obvious 'empty' bolt holes.:confused:

bolt diameter 10mm, hex head diameter 15mm
bolt length 130mm, length of threaded portion 35mm
labeled "10.9" for the steel grade
1.5mm per thread

Check your bolt on accessories. That size and grade was used to hold accesories onto the mounting bracket on a 95.

Check your belt drive pulley, when I bought my 98 I found a bolt on the pass. frame wedged against something. I was missing a bolt on that pulley, a perfect fit.

Leo

M10x1.5-130mm, it can also be the lower alternator bolt. A long one.

But it has a lot of bolt like that on my 95. So it can other thing.

A lot of stuff gets dropped when rigs are repaired and the solution for many techs is to just replace it rather than find it.

Flat rate shop time does not allow much room for looking for lost items.

When I yanked the DaHoooley down I found a couple wrenches and some other goodies lodged in various spots around the engine bay that are usually inaccessable with the engine in place.

If all your parts seem to have the right bolts, its probably a lost soul that was LEFT BEHIND.

thanks for the input, I'll look through the accessories again...
I briefly considered the possibility of a non-retrieved dropper but I'll
have to look again a couple of times to calm my nerves!

actually now I remember that the alternator was replaced just before
I bought the truck; there's one possibility for a drop

I usually find tools in the skid plate :mad2:

At least they stay there until the next time I remove it.

me too. i cleaned it yesterday and found a old oil filter wrench that was wedged in there somehow. it was oxidized so bad from the rust ot was almost completely white

I usually find tools in the skid plate :mad2:

At least they stay there until the next time I remove it.
yea,i found a 15 mm combo stuck on a nut on the tranfercase skid plate,and in another truck a 1/4" socket as extension on the clutch push rod.I found once a tire iron? in a oilpan when i took the engine apart.

But, i bet i "lost" plenty tools over the yrs too.

When I removed the front protection plate from under the radiator to get access to the harmonic balancer, I found a loose bolt on top of the plate...with washer and all...

If any of you can remember/recognize pulling one of these from somewhere around the front of a 6.5L, I'd be grateful to know where it's from!! I couldn't find any obvious 'empty' bolt holes.:confused:

bolt diameter 10mm, hex head diameter 15mm
bolt length 130mm, length of threaded portion 35mm
labeled "10.9" for the steel grade
1.5mm per thread

:nopics:

I just did the Heath SD cooling upgrade that entailed removing the AC condensor and bracket. That bolt looks just like one or more of the bolts that go thru the condensor and into the bracket/block.

Art

Alternator too. So it must be a mounting bolt for a belt driver accesory. Smooth slides the depth of the unit, threads bolt into block/bracket.

Back