• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Twin Turbo 6.5 (GM4 & GM8)

I decided to swap intakes and use an open one without the divider. My last tank got me 874km for 97.5 liters of diesel. Whitch works out to roughly 25.2MPG. I'm quite impressed considering I'm running 33inch. Toyo MTs

I really like this out of the box thinking. Just currious, why did you cut the intake in two before adding the divider?

I really like this out of the box thinking. Just currious, why did you cut the intake in two before adding the divider?

The intake had all that restrictive ERG crap so i cut it in half on the ban saw and completley cleaned everything out so it was as clean and free flowing as the new ones. I then welded square aluminum pieces where the egr ports were to block them off. The intake with the divider was on since day one when i finnished the build. I just felt like trying an open one for shits and giggles to see what would happen and so far the results are better. I so far have had over 30,000 trouble free km out of this engine besides some slight fish biteing when i start it cold and bad grounds. As for pictures what would you like to see?

longestdayoftheyear004.jpg

longestdayoftheyear003.jpg

longestdayoftheyear006.jpg

I added a couple pics of the truck to show for the record its a half tun i also added a photo of the dash with my GPS and Obdometer set to zero. I will take a couple pics of the km i put on this tank to see if the gps and truck are consistant with each other. And yeah i know its pretty dirty and rough looking but its been raining here the past few days..........

AWESOME

I know you prolly covered it but what manifold did you use on the drivers side?

The one that was on there. Just flipped it around 180deg and built a new flange. The cross over pipe was deleted.

Did you ad a oil drain to the oil pan on driver side? Is CDR to ground now? Driver side oil supply from OPS location? Do you still have an OPS? Whats the starter solenoid on fire wall.

Thanks

The oil drain was added to the valve cover and I'm not sure what the CDR is. The oil supply was tapped into the OPS location. All I did was add a Tee so I could keep my OPS and suprisingly it dident affect any readings on my cluster. The starter solenoid is for the glow plug over ride.

It looks like the drain on the turbo is lower than the valve cover? I thought it had to be gravity drain? If your drain is looped upward it might be affecting turbo??

It's just slightly lower. I dident know of the gravity drain at the time I built it. There is just a slight little hump in the line other then that they are pretty much level. I havent had any major affects yet. Just a slightly leaking turbo but it leaked the same way before I put it on so I don't really think it's hurting it. Also the turbo has over 350,000km on it. I guess if it gets worse i will make a revision other then that im not to worried. I wouldent advise doing it this way for anyone if they try the set up.

Did ya ever take boost results from each side when you had the divided intake manifold installed?

Always was interested in what the results would be with this setup, how laggy etc.

Neat setup.

Did you annodize the injection lines or paint them?

I just Sand blasted then painted them. I olny ever got a reading from the drivers side. I think It would peak at 18ish psi under WOT. I would assume the passenger side would be the same. It's about the same now with it open

I'm assuming you defeated the wastegates in some fashion. Wouldn't be much of a problem in your setup if all the exhaust had to drive the turbine. 18psi is pretty good from the GMX running on 4 cylinders.

I wonder what the intake temperature is? I know it's non-intercooled.

Back