• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Sound Deadening Project

If you are cheap like me, you could also try a self adhesive butyl waterproofing material like WR Grace Vycor Select. Its not exactly like Dynamat but very close, certainly from the same family of products. About $60 for a 200 SF roll, you can get it at roofing supply houses or maybe HD or Lowes.
no aluminum skin...but is the aluminum what deadens the sound anyway?:confused:

Man you could buy that stuff and double the amount used if that's the case...

please let us know if you or anyone tries this...

this was one of my to do projects...:thumbsup:

no aluminum skin...but is the aluminum what deadens the sound anyway?

The aluminum is not what deadens the sound. There are some articles at Dynamats website that tell you how it works. Pretty much anything that sticks to the sheet metal will work, the Vycor is the closest to Dynamat I could find. There are asphalt based products as well, but I would not use those in automotive applications.

thanks...I will stop in to HD to check it out... some mfrs. claims on there sound material are in regards to thickness...I wonder if we could find specs on the vycor to compare it to the better mfrs of materials for sound deadening materials...

I wonder what purpose the foil is for...maybe colors or dyes in the butyl will bleed through to the carpet?

DynaMat Extreme
Thickness:​
0.067" (1.7mm)

=============================================

Grace Vycor Butyl
Product thickness 25 mil (0.64 mm)
============================================

RaamMatBXT 60mil (1.54 mm)

============================================

even doubled the vycor would not be as thick... not that it would not do the job doubled...

Reading leads me to believe the aluminum does have some sound deadening properties(or it's just hype)

I'd still like to know for sure what the Aluminum is for...my old carpet padding is worn out and smells some from years of spills soaking through... and I'd like to replace it while I'm in there with something non absorbent...

Did you use the factory padding in addition to the mat? mat, padding, carpet or mat, carpet?

I filled the roof and walls of an old blazer i had with Great tuff expanding foam insulation and that alone made things tighter. Its a car audio trick.

My guess is the aluminium is to stop stuff from sticking to the butyl and to hide any smell or odour.
The Aluminum backing is mainly for keeping it clean and adding some rigidity to the material. The RAAMmat i used had absolutely no smell. Was extremely easy to install. No roller needed. Also the Ensolite foam that I lined the back of all the plastic panels had no smell either. I was happy.

I actually just ordered more RAAMmat and foam to do the roof and the underside of the dash cover. Got a few rattles that are driving me nuts, so time to open it up and tighten everything down and make it nice and quiet.

Then you're gonna get Cheap Results. In High Heat / Cold Temps. the Mat will Peel & Fall Off.

Agreed! Do not go cheap. Its a waste of time and money. You will be much happier with a product that costs little more and produces the results your expecting. I've used cheap products before in another car and it was just a pain! smelled, had trouble sticking to top roof surfaces, messy to install.

Not trying to be a sales man, but I was just very impressed with the RAammat material. Which is why I recommended it.

If you use other materials / product, I am interested to know how they work out. If there is something that works just as good and its cheaper, then I'd definitely be interested for my next vehicle.

Double

Can the foam be doubled in all areas or are there restrictions, like where the seats install ? Would it be too thick to reinstall the seats ?:confused: Or do you think it would not be necessary?

I ordered two rolls of RaamMat BXT and 7 Linear Yards of Ensolite Foam.
Each roll has 62.5 Sq Ft of material.

I have lined the doors, inner skin and outer skin, the floor, back wall, B and C Pillars
and still have about 1/3 of a roll left. My next project, may be roof. I also have 2-3 Yards of the Ensolite foam to line the back of all the plastic trim panels and the underside of the large Dash Cover..

I love how quiet and solid it feels. With the foam on the back of all the trim panels it keeps everything very quiet. Hardly any rattles.

Last edited by a moderator:
whats the cost of materials and the man hrs?
The cost at the time was probably around $250. but his prices have dropped some since then.
Took me one entire day from 9am to 8pm. I wasn't rushing, but kept going at a steady pace.
I did floor with mat, back wall with mat, all four doors with mat, B and C pillar filled with expanding foam then covered with mat.
After that installed factory carpet padding and carpet. All trim panels were backed with one layer of foam.

My next project, probably this next weekend, is the roof, and I am going to pull the dash cover off and lined the underside of that as well as wrap any loose wiring or cables. I have a vibration rattles that I want to eliminate. After that, it will be very nice.

Can the foam be doubled in all areas or are there restrictions, like where the seats install ? Would it be too thick to reinstall the seats ?:confused: Or do you think it would not be necessary?

I didnt use any of the foam material on the floor as the factory carpet padding is pretty dense. I only used the foam to fill any open voids in the A pillar as there are a few wires in there and wanted access to them. And the back of all plastic trim panels.

Hey guys I contacted Rick at Raam Audio because I want to do this project to my truck as well. Here is the message I sent and what I got back. It seems to be different than what he had you do BigDog, and a little more expensive. I guess my question is should i just do what you did or do it his "new" way and spend more $$...

"I got your info from a buddy on www.thetruckstop.us forum who used
Raam Mat BXT to line the interior of his truck. If I read your page
right you are telling me to ask you for a quote. So that is what I'm
doing. I'll probably need two full rolls of the BXT at 62sq ft each. I
drive a Chevy Crew Cab Duramax, and my biggest priority is just to
quiet my exhaust drone.
Also what is the ensolite foam for if I'm lining the whole truck with
the BXT?
Thanks for your time.

Chad,
Sorry for the delay, slammed on Mondays and I just no longer work 16
hours 7 days a week, 10+ years was enough and I have a beautiful new
wife to spend time with:)

I also have a crew cab Duramax so know what you need!

This is the way to go, really, follow the HOW TO guide on RAAMaudio.com
and use around 60% coverage on the vertical areas where we use BXT II,
BXT on the floor for full coverage and ensolite is an absolute must in
these trucks!

Group buy or sale prices included:)

1/2 roll BXT RAAMmat for the floor 49.50
1.5 packs BXT II 138.90
5 yards PS Ensolite foam 79.80
1/2 yard regular ensolite 4.95 tear into
sections and stuff loosely all around inside the dash, huge help!!!!!
UPS ground

I will need your zip code for Paypal please

Credit or debit cards just give me a call, 801-829-4997

Note: I am developing audio packages for Corvettes and Duramaxes(and
similar GM vehicles) I will have a 10" real sub for under the console on
trucks with one, speakers, mini amps to fit in the console but super
high end. I can sell the gear now except sub enclosures, great brands,
great prices but to low to quote on line, have to call me for them:)

These are fully authorized and warrantied;)

Thanks, have a great day!
Rick

got me interested in this again...but I wont do mine until after I swap the new motor in and make a few 1/4 mi passes without the extra weight...;)

Back