• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 6.5 turbo diesel

Shane V

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 1995 Chevy k1500 6.5 turbo diesel 4x4 truck with 140 thousand on it. I pitched a new pmd and relocated it, new lift pump, and glow plugs. It runs very well until it warms up, I have trouble starting it after it gets warmed up for some reason. I read some of the post and they say to poor water on the injection pump, would I do that ? Or what else could it be. I would also like to make a few smart upgrades for towing. I have a 29 foot camping trailer I would like to pull a few times a year, what upgrades would be best? Thanks for your time.

I just recently purchased a 1995 Chevy k1500 6.5 turbo diesel 4x4 truck with 140 thousand on it. I purchased a new pmd and relocated it, new lift pump, and glow plugs. It runs very well until it warms up, I have trouble starting it after it gets warmed up for some reason. I read some of the post and they say to poor water on the injection pump, would I do that ? Or what else could it be. I would also like to make a few smart upgrades for towing. I have a 29 foot camping trailer I would like to pull a few times a year, what upgrades would be best? Thanks for your time.

On your 95 you need to make sure you OPS is working. It controls the LP. It really needs a relay harness. Make your own or Leroy sells one

If you get one from Leroy make sure you add the prime during WTS. If pouring water on the IP helps you head and rotor are worn and you'll need a new IP.

OPS relay and new OPS. PMD relocation kit with either the Flight Services black or Stanadyne grey updated PMD mounted to the heatsink. K47 airbox set up along with a 4" exhaust and crossover. Then address the engine cooling issues BEFORE they occur. 2000+ balanced flow waterpump with screw on Duramax fan and the dual thermostat 6.5 crossover. Pull your cooling stack apart and clean/straighten all fins. Pull the upper and lower fan shrouds and clean out all the leaves, bugs, twigs that have accumulated between the A/C and the radiator. Clean the fins well with a mild detergent like Tide or special radiator fin cleaning solutions. Get all the oil/dirt/bug gunk out of the core. Don't forget a good external transmission cooler to back up the radiator exchanger that GM used. Now you're ready to do two things, tow your camper and start upgrading to new tunes on the chip, performance injectors, changing turbos, adding intercooling, water mist injection, how deep are your pockets?

Oh, and at 140,000 miles you are looking at a new Injection Pump in your near future if it hasn't been recently changed. Ditto the fuel injectors if they weren't replaced at 100K. How deep are your pockets?

I think I'm going to order the injector and pump first and make sure truck runs good and go from there:. Where is a relatable place to get both

before replacing IP, confirm it's bad. hard start can be numerous things. don't throw money at a problem that's not there. i wasted a lot of money i'll never see again by not doing it right.

Yeah, do the water test and 2,000 rpm test.

If you do replace the IP, are you going stock or high performance?

start at idle in park and slowly bring the engine up to 2k and then slowly back down shouldn't be any hiccups or stumbles

I'll try tomorrow but I don't think that will be a problem. Once it starts it runs great but when it warms up sometimes it won't start or is hard to start

Do the 2k test when its cold and when its hot.

Then when its hot and has the hard start, pour a quart or two over the ip then retry starting. If the water cools the IP and it will start easy, then the pump is heavily worn and will need replacing.

Back