• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Much neglected access and far too much blood letting

Missy Good Wench

Wild Blonde from Cloud Mt
Reaction score
As I read the various threads about anything that requires access to the sides of the engine in the GMT400 trucks, I constantly read horror stories of "I CAN'T GET TO THIS OR THAT"

The inner fender access port behind the front wheels that has the little rubber flap on it is/was put there for accessing various items along the side of the engine on both sides.

On the RH side
The glow plugs
Exhaust manifold bolts
Turbo oil drain tube at block
Starter wiring and tail hook
Lower turbo mounting nuts (outside ones)
Wiring clamps where the glow plug wires and such are held to the frame.
Motor mount bolts.

Left side

Glow plugs
Exhaust manifold bolts
PS pump rear bolt at the side of the block
Block heater cord/connection and block heater
Motor mount bolt.

All these items can be accessed easily through the inner fender ports.

Having a bag of spare barbed retainer buttons to allow the flaps to be replaced is a good idea, as these generally break off when being removed.

Always be sure to support the rig well when crawling in, under and around with the wheels off/ jacked up.

Take the time to explore this method of access, as its far less stressful and requires much less struggling, bloodletting and loss of hide.

Missy

Hard learned I might add too.
I had to let some blood and shed hide before I learned this stuff

The first starter was an OMFG, then I got to snooping and figured it out.

From then on it was an obvious way of doing business.

One piece tilt front end. Did it to my 69 Camaro and my 77 srw 1 ton. Makes life easy and a cool tweak. not as hard as you think...

I just yank the whole inner fender wells. The first time you take them out is usually a hassle with rusted bolts, especially under the batt trays. But just put them back in with grease on the bolts, and you can pull the tires and inner fenders in 3 minutes the next time. (with impact wrenches)

Ahhhh yesss, but not everyone is wanting to rebuild the front end.

Yeah, I never said I was the smart one...(and I am still in need of a sarcasm font)

In the fleets, we yanked the inner fenders.(Rust on bolts? not here-ez pull) And the push-pins, yeah kept 2 dozen in stock at all times.

Back