• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Military Hum Vee 36x12.5x16.5 Tires

used or new cus that makes a diff. also that is a strange rim size. i know a local guy that sells his extra race truck tires that are 285x12.5x16 for 500 or less for all four that are the same type of tire. its just extra stock from what i would guess. i heard that gm has lost the humve contract for a new more addaptable vehicale. i could be miss informed. so from that i would say it could be a fase out of what they have. are the tires self heat sealing from hot rounds. the military tires have lots of specs that have to be met. it may be the same series but not an actual military tire

Which ones? Do you have a picture?

The Military tire has been changed a couple of times over the last couple of years.

16.5 was actually the "size" back ten years ago plus . When I was a teen all the Fords/Dodge/ Chevy 8 lug were 16.5. I have a nice set of General Lee Redneck turbo Vec rims.

Thanks aces!

Those are the newer style tires. They work well in most conditions.

I live near the 29 palms USMC base, I see these tire all the time. When I worked at Big O tires, I really saw them quite a bit. Guys would get them on the cheap out here. They were only the bias ply type at the time. They were very heavy and almost impossible to balance. I would use them them on an off road in a heart beat. I would think twice about on road use, unless I didn't are about the ride quality.

I live near the 29 palms USMC base, I see these tire all the time. When I worked at Big O tires, I really saw them quite a bit. Guys would get them on the cheap out here. They were only the bias ply type at the time. They were very heavy and almost impossible to balance. I would use them them on an off road in a heart beat. I would think twice about on road use, unless I didn't are about the ride quality.

That's what I'm afraid of.

The military tires say "Military" on the sidewall with the rest of the load rating and size data. I have a set of the older 36" military wranglers laying around and all of them have that molded on the sidewall. They fit a 9.5 x 16.5 8 hole wheel, mine are chrome and gold modulars that were popular in the 80's. When the trucks came new with 16.5 rims, they were split rims which are sorta dangerous to mess with. The aftermarket made rims that were one piece like you see today, but are somewhat impractical because if the tire pressure gets too low, there isn't enough pressure to hold the tire beads against the rim and they deflate. They can even come all the way off the wheel before you can get stopped. This is why they aren't much good for rock crawling since they can't be "aired down" much for the added traction unless bead locks are used. Mike

so were do you find a decent priced 16.5x10 or 16.5x9.5 wheel with a 6x5.5 pattern?

I don't know if you can, as I said earlier, mine are from about '85 or so. You might start looking at some online wheel stores or maybe Discount Tire. 6 hole 16.5 rims are weird anyhow and most likely don't exist unless you have them custom made. Were it me, I would stick with the 16" or 17" wheels readily available for your rig. If it were a 3/4 ton with 8 holes, you would have a much better chance of finding what you need. Besides, 16" tires are more user friendly than the 16.5" tires for the reasons I mentioned above.

I just put some of those 37 12.50 militarys on my dually. I had to search for months to find a set of 16.5 wheels for my truck. but man doese it look good. ill have to post new pics of my truck.

I just put some of those 37 12.50 militarys on my dually. I had to search for months to find a set of 16.5 wheels for my truck. but man doese it look good. ill have to post new pics of my truck.

Don't your rear tires rub together? Looks like the do looking at the pic in your garage.

yeah those are my old tires in the pics.they were sandwiched together for two years. when i installed the 37's i got 3'' spacers for the rear.

Back