• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

McRats & Casper run a 193mph @ bonnvelle

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Reaction score
Congrats...sorry Casper didn't get to back it up...but I'm sure you guys will be back faster next year;)
First pass this morning Pat and Casper ave 193.x at the 3 mile mark with the chute pulled at 2 3/4 mile mark when he blew an intercooler boot. The 2 1/4 mile time was 197.x.

We are in impound waiting to make back up run tomorrow morning

Never so happy to it was just a boot that was blown:biggrinjester: (blew up)

I will have some pic's up later.

edit- Pat is now licensed to run 200 mph.
attachment.php

Last edited:
don't know the whole story but Casper is broke and couldn't back it up.

but it's official a new land speed record for him

The new record is 175.03

the traps didn't record it(because he was in between traps) but his data shows he did break 200 before the boot blew and had to pull the chute, hence the 193 avg when he hit the next trap...

that is frikkin cool...

whats all done to it to run bonneville?,is this the same truck in the mags

also brooklyn tow ,is that you and your buddy out for a walk in a park in brooklyn in your avator?,,i used to take cars there

It's a race truck with mostly stock body panels. Many changes have been made from a stock OEM 4x4 truck that it once was when it rolled off the factory floor. This is what you do when your going to go racing. They got the A/DT record at 173.xx MPH.

There is also a Dodge still running that has the D/DT record now at 183 MPH and already has a leg on breaking that record with a pass of 191 MPH. They are running a 5.0L Cummins motor in a full size Dodge Race truck. The motor is a destroked 5.9L Cummins so that it would fit into the D engine class.

For those that do not know at Bonneville the classes are setup by engine size and vehicle. "DT" stands for Diesel Truck and the first letter the engine size, "A" being the largest displacement and "F" I believe is the smallest.

It's a race truck with mostly stock body panels. Many changes have been made from a stock OEM 4x4 truck that it once was when it rolled off the factory floor. This is what you do when your going to go racing. They got the A/DT record at 173.xx MPH.

There is also a Dodge still running that has the D/DT record now at 183 MPH and already has a leg on breaking that record with a pass of 191 MPH. They are running a 5.0L Cummins motor in a full size Dodge Race truck. The motor is a destroked 5.9L Cummins so that it would fit into the D engine class.

For those that do not know at Bonneville the classes are setup by engine size and vehicle. "DT" stands for Diesel Truck and the first letter the engine size, "A" being the largest displacement and "F" I believe is the smallest.

Thanks for the info, I did not realize this.

Casper run 197.06 at 2 1/4 and 193.033 at 3 mile

Here is the Casper report. Since I wasn't driving. We will start the tear down in probably two weeks after everyone gets back to a normal life.

Mcrat said:
First of all, I need to give thanks to all who helped us with Casper, and that's quite a list. So if I forget someone, PM me and I will edit the thread.

Kat, Tom, and Allison for putting up with me and our racing. I couldn't ask for a more supportive family.

The SCTA/BNI crew for giving us a great venue to drive too damn fast at.

Robert Miller for helping me wrench on Casper and dropping everything he was doing to come to Bonneville with us.

Johnny James for wrenching, towing, and pit crew duties.

The gang at PPE, for making the go fast goodies we really need.

Mike L, for proving the Allison can in fact do it all.

Trippin at SoCalDiesel for pushing the envelope with Dmax hard parts.

Garrett Turbochargers for help with the right turbo selection.

EFILive for giving us the tools to put it all together.

Isspro for affordable data logging.

And lots, lots more. Casper has always been a community project by the Duramax enthusiasts and shops from all over, who have shared their experiences and ideas with me and other Dmax hotrodders freely.

Take a bow, could not have gotten here without all of you. :hug:

Anyhow, we arrived Thursday and went to tech. Last year that was a real struggle, but we have gotten better at it, and passed with no squawks. The winds hit very hard that day and stopped us from working. Friday we set up the truck and our pits and made final adjustments.

Saturday morning we went to the Special Short course, and ran the truck. It took off very slow since I didn't want to spin the tires or hurt the 9" Currie axle. When it hit fourth gear, it took off like a rocket. At first I had strong vibrations that I could not identify but by the time it hit 150mph they smoothed out. It accelerates HARD at 175mph, and the datalog shows we just crested 200mph shortly after the 2.25 mile beams, but at 2.75 miles, BANG!!! All power fell to zero, so I dropped the chute and popped it into neutral and coasted to a 193mph average into the emergency area.

Since A/DT is an open record class, we went into impound to back up the numbers for the record. We found the BANG, which was an intercooler hose that got too close to a hot area and burst. It was so loud they heard it back on the starting line nearly 3 miles away.

The next morning the air was very cold, and Casper doesn't have the glowplug controller connected. It idled very bad and took 15 minutes to get up to temp. We ran the backup run at the Short Course, and went 175mph through the first mile, but at about the two mile something wasn't right, power was falling. Then there was another pop, but not as loud as Saturday's run, and then the cabin started to fill with smoke. I popped the chute, and again headed to the emergency area. This time, there was so much smoke that they sent the ambulance and fire truck out to visit me. Very fast response time when you consider how much real estate they have to cross. I thought the truck was on fire, so I first bailed out, then killed the electrics. But it was just a large amount of oil blowby out the breathers and dipstick. We don't know what happened yet other than the engine is missing on one cylinder. It drives, but something is wrong that we could not repair with what we had available.

So in the end, we ended up with a 175.033 mph record for A/DT since we didn't get a solid run in.

Again, thanks out to all of you.:hug:

PS - Going 197mph+ in a pickup is a freakin' rush.

Attachments

• IMG_1506 [1024x768].jpg
    IMG_1506 [1024x768].jpg
    40 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1449 [1024x768].jpg
    IMG_1449 [1024x768].jpg
    50 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1445 [1024x768].jpg
    IMG_1445 [1024x768].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11
Would you ever of thunk it?.........200 MPH?

Remarkable effort.....It reeeeeally sux that the 197+ wasn't booked.....Damn plumbing!

Hope the engine isn't totally pooched, Sounds like you had a couple of days where the planets just wouldn't line up......whats next, a duece and a quater?

Anyhow at the end of the day, you still have another record and you know you did 2 bux!

Thanks for the ride.......Kudos to your whole team!

Now I'm rootin for Bill, and the little engine that could!

Regards,

Would you ever of thunk it?.........200 MPH?

Remarkable effort.....It reeeeeally sux that the 197+ wasn't booked.....Damn plumbing!

Hope the engine isn't totally pooched, Sounds like you had a couple of days where the planets just wouldn't line up......whats next, a duece and a quater?

Anyhow at the end of the day, you still have another record and you know you did 2 bux!

Thanks for the ride.......Kudos to your whole team!

Now I'm rootin for Bill, and the little engine that could!

Regards,

As much as I want to take Casper keys and head to the the 1/4 mile in my quest for 9.9XXXX. :driving2:

There are 3 more events left at El Mirage. While he won't get a "Red Hat" for going over 200 mph he could earn a "Brown Hat". So I told him he has my blessings to give the last 3 events a shot. So if we can get the planets line he could still get a hat :D

At least we have a slip that says he went 197 :partay:

Yes, we also wish the best of luck to Bill :cheers2:

Attachments

• 090809122 [1024x768].jpg
    090809122 [1024x768].jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 7
and the datalog shows we just crested 200mph shortly after the 2.25 mile beams, but at 2.75 miles, BANG!!!

So it's not your top speed they record.....it's some kind of average?

Seems off that you have a time slip that says 197, but they only credit you 175+

So it's not your top speed they record.....it's some kind of average?

Seems off that you have a time slip that says 197, but they only credit you 175+

That is correct. They average your time from mile 1 to mile 2. Then from mile 2 to mile 3. You make the first pass if it is a record then they put you in impound for the rest of the day. Then the next morning at 7 am you need to run a back up pass. They take the averages of the 2 passes. Since the averages of the first 2 miles passes came out higher then averages of two 3 mile passes that is the record.

Actually the 2 1/4 mile time on the short course means nothing other then if you go over 175 mph that qualifies you to run the long course. But, that is also an average speed from the 2 mile mark to the 2 1/4 mile mark.

Now for the people that do run the long course they will give you an exit speed on the 5 mile and that is your actually mph at the 5 mile mark.

Back