• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

looking to do a couple of things....

0rion

Reaction score
I'd like to figure out how to wire the running lights to be on unless I turn them off and I'd like to get rid of the door chime when the doors are open. One of the things I liked about the truck was having the off switch for the interior lights so I can open up the doors and listen to the radio at camp but that doesn't do me any good if the door chimes the whole time.
I'd like to wire the running lights because I live in the country and it's nice to have the extra lights to watch for critters so I'd like to have them on all the time except when I want to turn them off....not the other way around. Any links or help would be appreciated.

I may be wrong but most chimers I have removed were black boxes with a small speaker inside. Just let it chime and look around under the dash. But like stated above I do not know about the newer trucks.

The other thing you asked about I be-leave there is a mod posted about it under the lights section.

I wish I was more help but, I have not even ridden in a 06 or newer truck.

I may be wrong but most chimers I have removed were black boxes with a small speaker inside. Just let it chime and look around under the dash. But like stated above I do not know about the newer trucks.

The other thing you asked about I be-leave there is a mod posted about it under the lights section.

I wish I was more help but, I have not even ridden in a 06 or newer truck.

I'll look for the light mod in there.....the chime is played through the speakers so it's different than the older style GM stuff.

Chime goes through the Radio Head Unit. So, I replaced my factory radio with a aftermarket and no more chime. :smile5:

If you still wanted the chime, there are harnesses you can get, they also allow use of the steering wheel controls, etc. But in his case it sounds like it's just the ticket!

Chime goes through the Radio Head Unit. So, I replaced my factory radio with a aftermarket and no more chime. :smile5:

new head unit is on the list of things to get this summer and hunting season isn't until this fall so I should get it all taken care of before then. One more question....can you lose the chime and still retain the steering wheel controls? I suppose if worse came to worse I could hunt down a schematic for it and just clip that wire or disable it at the door but I'm hoping it's kept separate of the steering wheel controls.

new head unit is on the list of things to get this summer and hunting season isn't until this fall so I should get it all taken care of before then. One more question....can you lose the chime and still retain the steering wheel controls? I suppose if worse came to worse I could hunt down a schematic for it and just clip that wire or disable it at the door but I'm hoping it's kept separate of the steering wheel controls.

When you pull the head unit yes. Without pulling the radio and trying to loose the chime, I'm sure it can be done but I don't know. Either way, when you get a aftermarket unit you can buy the adapter for your steering wheel controls to work again.

You cannot defeat the chime. It is unfortunately VERY integrated into the truck. If you want the doors open and the tunes on when you're cleaning it or hanging out, what you do is take something and roll the lock plate to the closed position on the driver's door. Just don't try to shut the door before you pull the handle and release the plate.

If the '06 is the same electrical as an '05 (which I'm pretty sure it is) then you most certainly CAN defeat the door chime and not affect anything else. I'll need to check my notes for which wire I cut on mine to make this happen. Under the steering wheel is a major wiring "black box" with 3 plugs. It's one of the wires on one of these plugs.

For the '99 to about '03 it was one wire, for '04 to '07, the end of that bodystyle, it was a different wire. I've disabled the door chime on a number of these trucks.

If you can look up that wire color for me I'd owe you a beer the next time I'm in Idaho. This is probably a good time to tell you I've never been to Idaho and you're the only person I know that lives in Idaho but the next time I'm there I'll buy you a beer. :D
I'm also going to get a wiring diagram and verify the color before I just start cutting. I'll actually swap the head unit out first and see if that does the trick before cutting anything. I have until this fall before it becomes an issue.

ok, I'm on my main computer now. Here's pic I took of my '05 when I cut the wire. Sorry it's not the best.

door chime.jpg

You have to take the dash apart a little to access it. First remove this part

dash.jpg

I found it best to drop the tilt steering down as far as it can go and put the gear selector as far down as it can go too (set the ebrake!!). That whole piece is just snapped in place. I found it easiest to start in the upper left or upper right and pry with your fingers. Just work your way around pulling it straight towards you. Once all the snap points are free you have to kinda flex/bend it over the steering wheel. I wouldn't do this on a cold day, make sure the plastic is warm so it's not so brittle-ish if you know what I mean. I never have broken one of these, but I always cringe getting this part out.

Next remove the fuse cover on the side and then remove the lower kick panel. There's a few screws along the bottom and I think one behind the fuse door (can't remember now). This piece will pull straight towards the seat with a couple spring clips holding the top portion in place. Once the kick panel is free you should see the plugs in the first pic. You need the far right large plug with it's bundle of wires. Cut the green wire on the bottom row far left, you can see the cut wire in my pic. This wire only affects the door chime with your key in the ignition. You will still have a chime for leaving headlights on. Be aware this also disables the auto unlock when the key is in the ignition, in other words you can lock your keys in the truck.

If your plugs wires don't match my picture then I'd recommend NOT cutting the wire, or at least give yourself some pigtails to be able to splice it back together.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

This trick works on the '99 to '03-ish years too BUT it's a DIFFERENT wire. GM did a BCM change around 03-04, I don't remember exact year now.

The current bodystyle I haven't been able to figure out.

If you can look up that wire color for me I'd owe you a beer the next time I'm in Idaho. This is probably a good time to tell you I've never been to Idaho and you're the only person I know that lives in Idaho but the next time I'm there I'll buy you a beer. :D

Well I've never been to Ohio so that makes us even right?? ):h

trouttrooper, are you ****ing kidding me? I could have sworn that Dave and I have poured through almost every damned schematic there was looking for a one wire solution. :mad2:

Excellent news, must look into. :thumbsup: Thank you.

I had found this solution a long time ago off the internet, first time around 2001 when I bought my '99. I think it was off some generic truck forum. I suspect the guy posting worked at GM based on some of his solutions. He just knew too much :D . That's where I also discovered how to replace the dash sensor w/ a resistor on my '99 as well since those years you had pretty much zero control over your headlights.

Gotta love the internet.

I had found this solution a long time ago off the internet, first time around 2001 when I bought my '99. I think it was off some generic truck forum. I suspect the guy posting worked at GM based on some of his solutions. He just knew too much :D . That's where I also discovered how to replace the dash sensor w/ a resistor on my '99 as well since those years you had pretty much zero control over your headlights.

Gotta love the internet.

it's amazing the knowledge that's passed around these days on here. I know I for one have learned tons and tons about my vehicles on the boards.

Back