• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

lbz glow plug questions

That's (sort of) why I got rid of mine...taking the heads off is big money. It had the crimped head gaskets that seem to like to leak and the upper hose felt really stiff after sitting overnight on a couple of occasions. The dealer told me it was a $5k job to do both head gaskets... that's a lot of coin to drop and still have a 6 year old truck with other 6 year old parts starting to wear out.

I hear ya.......

Dealer called and said this engine has the most carbon he's ever seen in an engine, there are literally chunks rolling around! Hence the reason why the tip of the gp broke off, as it got caught up in all the carbon. He also said when the EGR gets gunked up and stops working thats how crud ends up building up in the intake, if thats the case, why did I block my EGR? I know there was a valid reason, but what it is I cannot remember, time to do some research to refresh my memory.

I'm beginning to think I might pull the blocker plate. I am getting tired of clearing the P0402 (excess EGR flow) codes and I'm not in a position to go EFI right now. Excess flow leads me to believe the EGR is gummed up.

Mike. Check the blocker plate for any air slipping by. I believe that is what you have. Blow by slipping between the blocker plate. It's worth a check. The blocker is supposed to block the soot before it enters the intake I thought.

I'm beginning to think I might pull the blocker plate. I am getting tired of clearing the P0402 (excess EGR flow) codes and I'm not in a position to go EFI right now. Excess flow leads me to believe the EGR is gummed up.

Why not grab a whole EGR Delete kit Mike since you're out of warranty? I hear good power gains also!

Why not grab a whole EGR Delete kit Mike since you're out of warranty? I hear good power gains also!

That is the best bet no doubt. The finger stick will not block all the codes you will get from that. EFI Live needed or at least a programed ECM.

I would like to eventually do that.

That is the best bet no doubt. The finger stick will not block all the codes you will get from that. EFI Live needed or at least a programed ECM.
and that...

Just not in a position to do either right now.
Doesn't make sense that it's throwing codes after a good 30k (about) with none. I'll have to dig into the other suggested things. I cleared 1 P0402 this eve but that was a good 5 key cycles so it should have been stored with no MIL illuminated but here it is a few hours ago when I got into town and turned 175k:

175k.jpg 175k-Hrs.jpg

Dealer called and said this engine has the most carbon he's ever seen in an engine, there are literally chunks rolling around! Hence the reason why the tip of the gp broke off, as it got caught up in all the carbon. He also said when the EGR gets gunked up and stops working thats how crud ends up building up in the intake, if thats the case, why did I block my EGR? I know there was a valid reason, but what it is I cannot remember, time to do some research to refresh my memory.

Blocking it is what keeps the gunk out. The exhaust flows from the firewall forward. This is why when you install the blocker the gasket stays on the firewall side of the plate.

Mike, here's my take on the P0402 (EGR flow excessive) with a blocked EGR:

It may have an intake leak somewhere downstream of the MAF. EGR flow is calculated by the MAF reading; the reduction in airflow past the MAF should technically equal what is going through the EGR. Since yours is blocked, there should be zero or next to zero flow through it regardless of what the valve is doing or any small leaks around the plate.

Since gasses can't come through the EGR, there's air getting into the intake somewhere past the MAF sensor, reducing what goes through the MAF and making the ECM think that the EGR flow is excessive. The most likely place is where the plastic intake is clamped to the turbo, or through the PCV system... you'd hear it and feel the loss of power if it had a boost leak post-turbo. It is possible that there's a boost leak at the plate itself however.

JMO based on having the same code after laying on top of my engine when replacing the insanely expensive vane position sensor and not clamping the intake back to the turbo properly.

Blocking it is what keeps the gunk out. The exhaust flows from the firewall forward. This is why when you install the blocker the gasket stays on the firewall side of the plate.

Thank you Bill, my panic induced mind couldn't remember the reason, I knew there was a valid one. :hihi:

Back