• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Knock on startup?

Look at this picture and enlarge it... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa.../_/N-j92mbZ93y2h?itemIdentifier=72833_0_8644_ There are 3 pictures there so if you look at the third, the one which look like pictured from front of engine you see like a metal "cross" with four holes in sides for bolts. In my case the inner part off rubber was cracked all around and the bolts which you see their holes pictured equal distanced from the "cross" were touching the "cross". As result I got that "knocking" noise. It is possible that you don't have this type off pulley but if you have it it, is worth checking.

You don't have to take the belt off, just look from under the truck at it. If you like to try to rotate it, (probably will be better) yes you take the belt off.

Look at this picture and enlarge it... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa.../_/N-j92mbZ93y2h?itemIdentifier=72833_0_8644_ There are 3 pictures there so if you look at the third, the one which look like pictured from front of engine you see like a metal "cross" with four holes in sides for bolts. In my case the inner part off rubber was cracked all around and the bolts which you see their holes pictured equal distanced from the "cross" were touching the "cross". As result I got that "knocking" noise. It is possible that you don't have this type off pulley but if you have it it, is worth checking.

Like said, make sure the Cross and the bolt holes are centered.....and inspect the rubber for dry rot, cracks, etc.

If the only rubber is the large band of rubber around the inner part of the pulley then I think it looks fine.

DSCI1100.jpg

Back