• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Keep an eye open

6.5L

Old Iron Runner
Reaction score
Well, I did get the latest Diesel Power Magazine. In the back they show a preview of the next issues articles. Very last page. They are doing a article on a budget IDI 6.5L build. That is my truck. It definitely went in!. I hope they get all the information right. They said in the preview it is from Idaho but the writer said in the article it is from Wyoming. He said it turned out good but he said he guessed on mileage and tire size. I don't know why he didn't just e-mail me. But oh well, it is still cool.

Congrats! This ought to wake up 6.5 owners! Our vendors need to start stocking the boost valve.
PM me your contact from there plz. I have a forgotten diesel article as well...

They can publish a update or correction.

See if they will do A group buy of that issue.

Congrats and WTF on not contacting you. We live in a world where you can get ahold of anyone at anytime and they didn't bother, doh! lol.

It should come out April 23rd. I am really nervous about weather they get the info right. Even if somehow they manage to mess most of it up, hey, at least it made it in. Haha

truck owners write in and they put a little correction blurb in, but I think most overlook it. :( I too hope they get it right!

maybe send an e-mail to diesel tech magazine. they have wet dreams about cummins, but they also appreciate mechanical injection so maybe they will run your truck too!

6.5ls are officially cool now! Diesel world acknowledged their existence in the best trucks under 20 grand article. full of wrong info, or I am the only poor sap without a 32 valve 6.5L which simultaniously displaces 395 and 396 cubic inches. :)

I don't know how it is so hard to just get the info right. Unless that many people hate them and do that as a joke

Hey 6.5L, I THOUGHT that was you who wrote the LTE in the May 2013 Diesel Power! (the "Idaho" thing threw my for a loop for a bit, it sure did sound like your rig being described) Yes, that's great that they have it appearing in the next issue, June '13. I'll be looking in my mailbox in about three weeks for it! Congrats! With all the wrench work being done and the upgrades and improvements coming on line (cams, tunes, injector mods, turbos, I/C's, etc) we need to get MORE of our 6.5's into Diesel Power!

So how does that work? You give them the hard data and they make up a story or what? (I guess in the process butchering your attempt to shed light on the older stuff) :dunno:

So how does that work? You give them the hard data and they make up a story or what? (I guess in the process butchering your attempt to shed light on the older stuff) :dunno:

Most of their articles on "reader build ups" are just product placement articles for the paid advertisers of the magazine. Joe Blow builds up his '12 Duramax with XYZ Suspension parts and ABC Engine tune - and lo and behold, Joe Blow owns Joe's Diesel Palace and is an authorized dealer for XYZ Suspension and ABC Tuners, and advertisements for XYZ Suspension and ABC Tuners appear in and after the article.

REAL build ups by REAL people using their own ingenuity and expertise are few and far between.

By my count, since issue No. 2, Vol. 1, Diesel Power has either started and not finished a series or promised but never ran an article on 6.2/6.5 engines/vehicles no less than ten times so far - including former editor Kennedy's own 6.5 repower of his '86 6.2 Blazer which ran one "To be Continued" article with a parallel article on a GEP block "power build" by GEEP Co. to power his Blazer with - and no follow up articles since. That was almost five years ago, and it was the Editor for crissakes!

And this just the month after running an article on how the 6.2/6.5 was the EASIEST engine to retrofit ANY vehicle (or boat) to a diesel with since it was roughly the size and weight of a BBC, used BBC/SBC mounting system, bolted up to any Chevy bolt pattern tranny, was readily available, cheaper than Cummins or Powerstroke to buy, could run as stand-alone mechanical injection or simple ECM.

Last year a reader wrote in wanting to know what diesel he could drop into a '57 Chevy he was building and Diesel Power's "experts" told him that, with LOTS of modifications, that a 5.9 Cummins would "work". WTF????? Why not drop in a built up 6.5T it WOULD "drop right in" and "bolt right up"!!!!!

In 2012 we were promised "Project Doomsday" by Diesel Power - a 6.2 Suburban in name only - after a 5.9 Cummins install with a TCI 6-speed conversion 4L80E, total reworking of the frame and suspension, different front and rear axles, transfer case, brakes, steering, etc to show off all their advertisers' products.

6.5ls are officially cool now! Diesel world acknowledged their existence in the best trucks under 20 grand article. full of wrong info, or I am the only poor sap without a 32 valve 6.5L which simultaniously displaces 395 and 396 cubic inches. :)

Guess you're a poor sap! I LOVE my 32V 6.5TD!!!!

Well they said that they didn't have the budget to come out here and do a full shoot. So they had me e-mail pictures that I took and provide all the information to them. They seemed really out of touch with me though. They didn't reply that often and didn't seem to keep asking for more information. He said he would call and get more information but never did. That is why I am so worried about the information being right. I don't want an article with a bunch of wrong information in it about my truck. And yeah, that was my LTE. I was a little tipsy one night and wrote that. Haha. Came across as a bit of an ass when I re-read it. I didn't even know they were going to put that in haha oh well

Well they said that they didn't have the budget to come out here and do a full shoot. So they had me e-mail pictures that I took and provide all the information to them. They seemed really out of touch with me though. They didn't reply that often and didn't seem to keep asking for more information. He said he would call and get more information but never did. That is why I am so worried about the information being right. I don't want an article with a bunch of wrong information in it about my truck. And yeah, that was my LTE. I was a little tipsy one night and wrote that. Haha. Came across as a bit of an ass when I re-read it. I didn't even know they were going to put that in haha oh well

Remember, they just went through a change of editors there during that time period, and added a new feature writer, so things may be a little topsey-turvey. Guess we'll all have to wait a few weeks till the June issue arrives in the mail at the end of this month to see how bad they butchered it.

NOW, we need Paul to write a feature article on his daily driver Bonneville runner with the Heath cam, 635, and all his mods after he sets a record on the Flats to submit to Diesel Power, or better yet, see if any of their people are there at the Flats and schmooze with them and then drop the "It's a hybrid 6.2/6.5 with custom cam, tuning and turbo daily driver" bombshell on them!

Bottom line, WE know what our baby's are capable of, time the rest of the diesel world finds out!

Back