• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Junk Yard Find, dome light: redo.....

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
was at the jy, looked for A/C hose to fix mine which i found. looked for a tcm, no luck there. got some intake hose from a, *cough*, ford, will see if i can make it work. found a dome light from a sub. matches the console. the part was $10.00. here is how i recovered it to match my headliner, that i put in, using the same material. took about an hour to do, 24 hours to dry.
this is what it looks like from the factory:
DSC01559.jpg

back side:
DSC01560.jpg

notice there is a diff in depth from the front/back side:
DSC01561.jpg

this is what is in there now. there are LED's in it but it looks dated i think:
DSC01562.jpg

these 6 melted tips need to be melted off, i used a soldering iron:
DSC01567.jpg

separate the frame from the inner part:
DSC01569.jpg

DSC01570.jpg

here's the material used, same that i used on the headliner and overhead console. bought from walmart:
DSC01571.jpg

adhesive:
DSC01572.jpg

cement:
DSC01573.jpg

cut a piece to stretch around the frame:
DSC01574.jpg

spray contact on frame, let it get tacky:
DSC01575.jpg

start stretching and cement the inside edges that will be hidden:
DSC01576.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

trim a little closer and clamp down:
DSC01579.jpg

when adhesive is tacky(moisten finger when pressing down to prevent it from sticking), cut out center section making relief cuts on inside corners, place adhesive to edge, keep the 6 tips free of material so they can get glued down. they don't have enough plastic to remelt closed for a good seal:
DSC01581.jpg

cement the edges......
DSC01589.jpg

but stay away from here, the lens cover needs to be free to replace bulb:
DSC01590.jpg

place clamps on edges to hold it together until adhesive sets:
DSC01591.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

before:
DSC01559.jpg

after:
DSC01584.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

Last edited:
looks good...

just curious...any reason why you didn't use a graphite or black interior plastic paint on the tan part?

looks good...

just curious...any reason why you didn't use a graphite or black interior plastic paint on the tan part?
i don't have the cleaner/adhesion promoter for paint. had material left over from the other projects.

Deejaaa I need a armrest if u go again 4 the drivers side. I be happy to pay u a profit.
i would of gladly got you one today, i'm guessing you color is red? but don't plan on another trip any time soon. i got all i needed but a good TCM.

Real nice, whats it look like installed?
i will take a pic tomorrow. the adhesive dried tacky pretty fast so i did get it put in. there was a little reworking to do. i think it looks good, at least much better than the one that was in there. went to the one off of 610 on Wallisville Road. LMQ i believe is the name now.

i will take a pic tomorrow. the adhesive dried tacky pretty fast so i did get it put in. there was a little reworking to do. i think it looks good, at least much better than the one that was in there. went to the one off of 610 on Wallisville Road. LMQ i believe is the name now.

I go there to. They have had a bunch of suburbans lately. I have a couple TCMs here, I'd sell one. Bought mine on ebay for $100 if you want it I just want my money back on it.

Looks great DEEJAAA! I just dont have that kind of abilities. No my interior is gray or grey? But I take any color, the junkyards here have nothing, price of scrap metal has got just about all the 20 year old vehicles crushed.

What matters is it is a Confederate color!!!! LOL Yes us hillbillies still got our Confederate States Of America money put away and only give lip service to the Federals! Thats one reason I got my truck, Confederate "grey" and maroon!!!!!

here's a few snaps of the light in action:
DSC01592.jpg

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

i have an LED in the middle but not in the sides. they need a little modding to get them in. the heat-sink is a little larger diameter on the LED than on the incandescent so drilling needs to be done, thanks to the Harbor Freight 40.00 drill press i got on sale. it has saved me many hours of extra work and helped me make more than a few straight holes in plastics and metals.

What rear view mirror is that? Is it hooked up?
Was the dome light a bolt in or did you have to drill new holes or ???????

What rear view mirror is that? Is it hooked up?
Was the dome light a bolt in or did you have to drill new holes or ???????
mirror is from an 03 or 06 impala, can't remember year. it only has map lights, not hooked up yet but i have the harness.
was a bolt on except there were 2 pieces that i clipped off that were in my way. there were enough holes from the factory so no drilling. used drill/nut driver to get torque. install was easy. had to clip wires because i didn't get both pieces of the harness. hooked ground where the original one was, on the hold down screw.

thanx, what i was looking for.
i saw some weird stuff at the salvage yard. there are some real ugly after market pieces that somehow end up as junk. saw one headliner held up with paperclips, diff colored ones and had the curled ends sticking out. would say there was at least 40 of them, looked like a rainbow forest and headliner was red. forgot the camera.....

Back