• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is LMC Truck really a worthy vendor?

dka99burb

Reaction score
I just called LMC to find out more info on the headlight assemblies that they sell. The CSR said she has no more information than the catalog. The catalog tells you nothing but fitment. I asked her was there no one who would have more info, such as a technical dept? She said no, no tech support, no mechanics, nothing. :shiiiiiite: No more information exists. Not even a country of origin. :mad2: So, I told her that I guess I will take my chances with ebay since they look like same parts for 1/4 of the price. Am I wrong? I mean if I am buying Chinese crap I might as well pay a lot less for it right?

Big companies, mail order and clerks/CSR that have no interest in the stuff they sell. Its just a job.

Yeah, I really pushed her for more info or to transfer me to someone who would know. She said that there was NO MORE info available and no one could get it. I guess that I will go ahead with the cheap ebay stuff and see how they turn out....

I would wholeheartedly agree that usually, one gets what one pays for. In both directions.

When you find a good vendor, with solid service and high-quality parts, I encourage everyone to remember this conversation, because sometimes, it's worth paying more.

Good, cheap, fast. You can always get one out of three, occasionally two out of three.

***on edit: for the record, I also hate buying things blind. DK, you might find ebay better, but it's just impossible to say.

I agree completely. If I could get confirmation from them (or another vendor) of the quality and/or source I would gladly pay more for good product. Especially if it is North American manufactured. But, since I have not found any indication from anywhere about a better source, I can't see paying more for the same crap. I have browsed, and even chimed in on, a couple threads about the headlight housings and I have not seen clear reports on any current vendors. If anyone has more info I am more than willing to listen. That, afterall, is why we are all here; to help each other out. With that said, I will report back on whatever I end up with to help the next shopper.

In my experience LMC parts are usually a little slack in the quality department

I agree on some poor quality. Mirrors shake, moldings are one step above trash that you are removing. They do have almost everything so for impossible to find stuff like throttle cables you can get there. Otherwise take your change on fleabay. Returns are ok with LMC however. Quality is hard to find and I went to the dealer for higher quality door seals after using LMC. Paid out the ass at the dealer, but, got higher quality parts.

So you are saying that I need to go to the dealer to buy door seals then huh?
I believe that's most everyone's opinion that bought aftermarket door seals.

LMC used to be pretty fair but it was almost always foreign manufactured.

So you are saying that I need to go to the dealer to buy door seals then huh?

Lots of LMCs stuff is just fine, and their prices are always pretty good, but some things, it just doesn't pay to cheap out on... things that come to mind are:

-- Door seals. Sorry, but only GM on this one. Good body shops will tell you the same thing.
-- Ignition switches. They are such a PITA to remove, you don't want to do them twice after the cheap one craps out.
-- OPS. The contacts in the aftermarket ones just aren't solid enough.
-- Thermostats (especially in 94/95). AC Delco or nothing. Sterling are OK, but nothing else is even close. ***edit: Stewart, not Sterling. Thanks, jr - jifaire***

There are a bunch of others, they've all been discussed ad nauseum.

It's not that LMC isn't a good vendor, because they are. There are some things that I wouldn't buy from them, no matter how much money it saved me. Other things, no problem.

Last edited:
jrsavoie said:
Actually on the thermostats, I only use the high flow Stewarts on my single stat vehicles

Arrgh.. my bad, sorry. Stewart, not Stirling.

I still like ACDelco better - cleaner flow and better seal with the bypass place, IMHO, but Stewarts are a close 2nd in my book. I'd use either without worries.

Stant, Napa, etc are all crap. The cooling systems on these trucks are so marginal that the little things really do matter.

The only thing I have priced form LMC was a dash for my truck hoping to find one cheaper than GM. List price from GM for the 2 pieces I need is just shy of $1200(my cost was going to be $980), but LMC wanted $1285 for the 2 pieces I needed. that is more than GM wanted for OEM to buy there who knows what dash. They seem to have alot of stuff, but that seems to be there only saving grace. Then again it costs alot of money to get your name up on those powerblock shows.

i ordered a lower grill filler piece, the plastic part that the grill clips into from them, nice part seems sturdy and is way better than the broken one i had and couldnt find any where else. i ordered their heavy duty head light harness and it was deffiantly made in china i didnt think it would be but it came in a package with chinees writing all over it. i also ordered there 4 high headlight relay and it came in a plain bag with instructions only in english, who knows where it was made. any way the parts that i ordered where great they work well and the price was fair. i do think like others have said there are just some things you dont get there.

as far as the head lights go i have orderd 3 sets off ebay from different sellers and they all seem the same, my guess is they are all made in china in the same factory, i will say that the clear lenses with the projector housing makes a huge differnce in the light output, add that to the heavier wireing with the new harness and 4 high mod and my lights are really bright!

Arrgh.. my bad, sorry. Stewart, not Stirling.

I still like ACDelco better - cleaner flow and better seal with the bypass place, IMHO, but Stewarts are a close 2nd in my book. I'd use either without worries.

Stant, Napa, etc are all crap. The cooling systems on these trucks are so marginal that the little things really do matter.

Never heard of Stewart are you guys thinking of Robert Shaw? they're made in china now too

i ordered a lower grill filler piece, the plastic part that the grill clips into from them, nice part seems sturdy and is way better than the broken one i had and couldnt find any where else. i ordered their heavy duty head light harness and it was deffiantly made in china i didnt think it would be but it came in a package with chinees writing all over it. i also ordered there 4 high headlight relay and it came in a plain bag with instructions only in english, who knows where it was made. any way the parts that i ordered where great they work well and the price was fair. i do think like others have said there are just some things you dont get there.

as far as the head lights go i have orderd 3 sets off ebay from different sellers and they all seem the same, my guess is they are all made in china in the same factory, i will say that the clear lenses with the projector housing makes a huge differnce in the light output, add that to the heavier wireing with the new harness and 4 high mod and my lights are really bright!

Which projector housing did you get off ebay?

I have the euro style housings with light cups with HIDs in them and while they're brighter than the stock headlights, the beam pattern sucks.

I've looked at LMC's offerings on headlights and there is just no way to tell how well they're made. Frankly, they look exactly like the stuff on ebay.

I just called LMC to find out more info on the headlight assemblies that they sell. The CSR said she has no more information than the catalog. The catalog tells you nothing but fitment. I asked her was there no one who would have more info, such as a technical dept? She said no, no tech support, no mechanics, nothing. :shiiiiiite: No more information exists. Not even a country of origin. :mad2: So, I told her that I guess I will take my chances with ebay since they look like same parts for 1/4 of the price. Am I wrong? I mean if I am buying Chinese crap I might as well pay a lot less for it right?

For some parts, they are. Example, I recently bought the hinge pins for the rear barn doors and the hinge pins for the very front side doors from LMC as they were the only place I could find them, besides a dealer.

I've stared at their headlight offerings, as I need new ones. Just no way to tell how well they're made. They look like any other Chinese made ebay offering.

Back