• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

IP timing OBD II

CUCV

Reaction score
Am about ready to put the replacement engine in my 1997 Sub this week. I did what I think is about the best to transfer the IP from old engine to new engine as close as possible to TDC on both. At any rate, I already talked to a reputable diesel shop (NOT A GM DEALER!) in my area and they can set the electronic timing. My question is, do I give them any specific instructions or does the computer set to whatever it's spec'ed for? I've never done this procedure, so I'm clueless. Since I know a lot of knowledgeable people on here have their own scan tool, I was wondering if there are any recommendations. I'm about 400' above sea level here and median annual temperature is 54.3 F (12.4 C for our Canadian friends) Don't know if these are pertinent or not. Only engine mods that I could think that would make a diff are an intercooler, #9 resistor and 3" exhaust. I don't routinely tow anything. Thanks in advance.

Probably for less the the mech will charge you can get Car Code and do it yourself and have a scanner to boot.

Checked out the car code. Looks cool. Not too hard to figure out? I'm pretty technical, but this is all new to me. From the description, it looks like there are 6 possible IP parameters. Does that sound right?

Only 2 you need to be concerned with Time set, and TDCO (top dead center offset) Timing what I like to call base time is with time set command on a scan tool command (desired) goes to 0, and actual will be aroun 3.5 deg avg.

Then once out of time set computer will control timing again and you will rotate IP to advance or retard timing depending where you are as indicated on scan tool, advance is to driver side. factory TDCO is (-.25 to-.75 deg) for a little more performance up timing to -1.5 to -1.94 all this has to be done with a fully warmed up engine >170F so cold advance isn't coming into play, also no stored codes can be present. Its relatively easy once you do it a time or 2

Well, I took the plunge and bought the car code. Will be here in a couple days. Engine WAS supposed to go in tonight but I had a trans line that thought otherwise. I won in the end, but no engine in bay until at least Wed.....

As it well should I know I greatly appreciated it. One side ? Did you ever find a way to cycle the ABS with CC. I was recently having trouble bleeding the brakes and it was suggested to take to dealer and let them cycle the ABS to get the air out of it.

As it well should I know I greatly appreciated it. One side ? Did you ever find a way to cycle the ABS with CC. I was recently having trouble bleeding the brakes and it was suggested to take to dealer and let them cycle the ABS to get the air out of it.

Hey AK
As i posted in your other thread, braking hard on gravel to activate the ABS will have the same result as using a scan tool to command the ABS to activate.

Cheers
Nobby

O.k. So It's running and I followed qwomack's instructions to the letter. Here is what the computer says:
IPT 10.5
IPTD 10.3
TDCO -2.20
RPM 602

Forgot the temp, but it was safely above the minimum.

I believe this means it's too advanced. Can I retard without moving the pump or is this too far off? Thanks.

Is that what it read without trying to set TDCO? You might try setting the TDCO. there should be a range of TDCOs available each time you move the pump. So if it's on the high side of the range you might be able to bring it down to one of the lower numbers in it's current position. Worth a try worst that will happen is you'll have to move the pump. Only move it about 1 mm.

Correct didn't try to set. After reading again, I should make it learn to make sure that is the current setting, not just the one in memory, no? I figured there was no way it would be set to that on the old engine and it must be reading the current setting. I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out!

Each physical location of the ip will have a range of TDCOs available. I'm not sure how much but what I remember from when I did mine it was a fairly wide range. So if yours is reading -2.20 That might be the middle of the range and it wouldn't take much to find a lower one that would be acceptable.

Back