• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Introduction post/6.5 engine replacement options

grader6.5td

Reaction score
Hey there, I grew up running around in an 82 6.2 diesel and have been around these old diesels ever since. Always have really enjoyed them. Good to see a community of others that use these old work horses as well.
I have been running Ole Maroon for 7 years now. She is a 95 K2500 6 lug/4l80e. She was a high miler when i got her. Done a few mods to the engine over the years, 3" down pipe, S&B open air, fluidampr, aluminum radiator, new injectors 15k ago & new IP. Fuel tank sock delete and spin on filter(pre lift pump), gauge pods, duramax fan and Hayden fan clutch, new cylinder heads and felpro headgaskets 15k ago, and tune from Quadstar(modified stock, real mild tune but runs great)
Here recently my headgasket on the drivers side sprung a leak and the engine has always had some blow by. I'm hesitant to do another set of headgaskets because the old girl is tired. Just shy of 300k. I'm looking to rebuild or replace with new engine. Was curious where folks have found the best deals for quality 6.5 replacement engines. Or the best route for a rebuild. I don't want a race truck, I just want long term reliability and occasional towing. I'm almost certain my old block will have cracks, my factory harmonic balancer had stayed on for far too long. What kind of ideas do you fellas have for my project? 6k is my target spending limit.

I bought a long block from Unique Diesel (formerly Peninsular Diesel). Unique is one of the few direct GEP factory authorized dealers. I had a few weeks of lead time but I'm very pleased with the engine and service. Although a bit pricey, I haven’t looked back and I have all the confidence in the world in my new engine.

I only have maybe 1500 miles on in the almost 2 years since I installed it. I do not have any significant mods yet other than a mandrel bent cross over pipe, 3" inch down pipe and 4" out. I happen to live in California 🤮 but plan on leaving the state like the rest of the smart tax paying citizens are. After that, I will for sure do a performance tune. I will say that the new GEP motor seems to have more power than the factory Detroit with my same injection pump, computer and peripherals.

John at Unique Diesel steered me in the right direction with recommending the proper configuration i.e. pre-cup size etc. I believe the configuration he suggested was for a normally aspirated engine even though he knew my truck was turbocharged.

Could anyone tell me how to visually identify the optimizer? Does it actually look any different from the standard 6.5? Could the engine from my 99 suburban have been one? I bought an optimizer from GEP and want to make sure I got what I payed extra for.

I only have maybe 1500 miles on in the almost 2 years since I installed it. I do not have any significant mods yet other than a mandrel bent cross over pipe, 3" inch down pipe and 4" out. I happen to live in California 🤮 but plan on leaving the state like the rest of the smart tax paying citizens are. After that, I will for sure do a performance tune. I will say that the new GEP motor seems to have more power than the factory Detroit with my same injection pump, computer and peripherals.

Montana resident via Fullerton, CA. Still have homes in CA and will as long as I continue my employment there, but most of my work is now done remote.

There are many “political exiles” in Montana. The progressive blue liberals tend to end up in Bozeman, Missoula, and Whitefish. Outside those areas it’s largely RED.

Montana resident via Fullerton, CA. Still have homes in CA and will as long as I continue my employment there, but most of my work is now done remote.

There are many “political exiles” in Montana. The progressive blue liberals tend to end up in Bozeman, Missoula, and Whitefish. Outside those areas it’s largely RED.
Be fearful of that trend you will end up like Hellinois and other states with communist rule

Be fearful of that trend you will end up like Hellinois and other states with communist rule

I think now, when I text My friends, I will refer to Helena Montana with that handle.
It is pronounced Helen with a A at the end.
Over here on the eastern side we refer to Bozeman as Bozeangelas.
It is totally blue, invaded by many from the blue areas of cali and far east.

Back