• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

intermittent SES light

Riddle_3d

Reaction score
sorry to keep bothering with questions, but the '95, now after driving for a week, runs great. at slow speeds and ~17-1800 RPM, he SES light comes on. give it throttle or let off, it goes away. 60+ mph its just fine. also, if you are running it on cruise, and it kicks off, the next time you try to go anywhere its in limp mode. this also happens with the truck not shutting off. could the ECM be causing this? the PO said the truck was doing this, he said it was running 3500 rpm at 55 mph :eek::eek::eek::eek: no wonder he blew it up!

Find the codes. the how to is in the stickies under OBD 1 . You can use a paper clip. Dying IP can do that but so can a boost code. You need to retrieve the codes. If you plan on keeping the truck GMTDScan is an excellent investment. It is by far the best software I have ever used.

Mine is doing about the same, when out temp is like -15 or below light comes on with cold engine with little acceleration around 1800-2000 rpm´s. When pedal is released light goes off, or accelerating more I think. Codes 36, 84 and 99. What is going on???

Last edited:
Get the GMTD software and find out just what the pump width is and post it up. Tech II scan on my truck (OBDII) showed that the pump width timing was getting long, 220-30ish. Hadn't thrown a code yet but was told I needed to start saving some $ as that was a sign the IP was going south. Saved the $$ and replaced it shortly there after.

Yep, that the pulse width value of the fuel solenoid. The scanner displays the time between when the PCM stopped commanding the fuel solenoid metering valve and when it actually seats in the fuel solenoid. If its too long its because the valve is sticking, cannot slide as easily, or if its too short then maybe its not fully closing to properly meter the fuel.

The PMD controls the fuel solenoid, so thats why it can be the PMD, if a transistor's rise and fall time is out of tolerance. Or the fuel solenoid in the IP could be starting to go. If there are other codes you should always address them first, like if something points to a sensor or PCM reference voltage issue all sorts of weird things could happen.

Get the GMTD software and find out just what the pump width is and post it up. Tech II scan on my truck (OBDII) showed that the pump width timing was getting long, 220-30ish. Hadn't thrown a code yet but was told I needed to start saving some $ as that was a sign the IP was going south. Saved the $$ and replaced it shortly there after.

A healthy diet of additive and 2 stroke oil can prolong even save it sometimes.

No, your 95 should shut off with ignition power. The IP cannot work without ignition power, because it needs the PCM, PMD and FSO/ESO to have power from the ignition. Where did you get this truck? Maybe PO attempted to bypass ignition power, or as I mentioned in another thread you most likely have ignition power in parallel to OPS power to the LP. Did you try unplugging the OPS to see if that stopped happening? Or cutting the wire out of the OPS?

currently, im not ogin to do anything to it, its the only truck for us three here. i dont want to disable it (possibly) without having something else to drive.

If the LP runs without the OPS plugged in, the only damage would be loss of the oil pressure gauge until you plug it back in.

The only other possibility is if your intake has loads and loads of oil in it, have you checked your oil lately, is the turbo sucking it out of the valve cover?

its clean, fresh motor with <500 miles on it so i would hope its not filled up with oil. lol amd knowing my luck, i would unplug it and it would burst into flames or something dumb like that, but ill give it a try tomorrow

finally tally on the codes:
DTC 36 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long)
DTC 68 - Transmission Component Slipping
DTC 81 - Transmission 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit
DTC 82 - Transmission 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit
DTC 83 - Torque Converter Clutch

Back