• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intercooler Finally Done!!!

DIYORPAY

Reaction score
I finally got my intercooler installed! It sat on the shelf long enough and i have alot of time on my hands so i thought it would be a good time to get it done. Here are a few pics.........................

Attachments

• intercooler pics 1 001.jpg
    intercooler pics 1 001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 68
  • intercooler pics 1 002.jpg
    intercooler pics 1 002.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 58
  • intercooler pics 1 003.jpg
    intercooler pics 1 003.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 72
  • intercooler pics 1 004.jpg
    intercooler pics 1 004.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 64
  • intercooler2 003.jpg
    intercooler2 003.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 51
  • intercooler2 006.jpg
    intercooler2 006.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 49
  • intercooler2 008.jpg
    intercooler2 008.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 47
  • intercooler2 009.jpg
    intercooler2 009.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 52
That intercooler looks outstanding! Great work and awesome idea with putting the guard up there.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of bumper do you have up front?

Nice install, great looking parts! :thumbsup:

Well done, my friend!

(I don't suppose you have a pile of DIY pictures, so we can make a "How-To" thread in the Library, do you?)

Thanks guys! The bumper is a ranch hand. It helped to have that so the intercooler could be mounted straight up, instead of on an angle. It should cool better that way. The other thing that helped is the body lift. (Gave me more room to run the tubing). As far as pictures go, i didnt take any until the cooler was already mounted and functional(my bad). And thanks JiFaire! That was a decent kit you sold me! I even have left over parts! (Oh wait........... maybe thats bad!!??!!)

Nice install and is that a universal kit or a kit that you can at least get the exact same pipe bends as you have to fit under the 6.5 engine underhood area? Did it cost a lot? I know if you buy any of the 6.5 intercooler kits from some of the diesel sites that it is over $1500, not to say many people would buy them anyways because that kinda price is ridiculous. Around $300-400 sounds like a better investment price for an IC install to me.

Nice install and is that a universal kit or a kit that you can at least get the exact same pipe bends as you have to fit under the 6.5 engine underhood area? Did it cost a lot? I know if you buy any of the 6.5 intercooler kits from some of the diesel sites that it is over $1500, not to say many people would buy them anyways because that kinda price is ridiculous. Around $300-400 sounds like a better investment price for an IC install to me.

I paid $298 shipped from canada. I got the parts from another member on here and i think it was all purchased seperately, but im not sure. So the hard work was already done for me!

"i would be worried about the PMD right there, all it takes it 1 rock from a tire and its dead."

i have it mounted underneath on the guard for the IC and its on top of the heatsink twards the middle. I thought about things hitting it but i think it should be protected enough.

Attachments

• 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
That looks AWESOME, I have a feeling the intercooler on my truck is not doing much as the person who installed it put it directly behind the radiator.

Also, what Turbo is that one you are running? The intake is cool looking also, is that a custom intake Plenum??

That looks AWESOME, I have a feeling the intercooler on my truck is not doing much as the person who installed it put it directly behind the radiator.

Also, what Turbo is that one you are running? The intake is cool looking also, is that a custom intake Plenum??

The Turbo is a stock GM-5. And the Intake top is from penninsular. I think they run them on marine engines.

so here is the real question. who good does it work? i wanted to install one but was told it was a waste but i dont believe that at all. hows the turbo lag. are you running stock boost? im very interested. my tig welder should be here soon and i was going to fab up a really nice one.

Not sure yet

I haven't really had a chance to test it out the way i want to yet. I did this to lower EGT's and IAT's when pulling my 5th wheel camper long distances.
What i can tell you is that i lost about 2 psi of boost at first. But i just turned up my homemade turbomaster and that came back. Seat of the pants it feels like i gained a lot of power. Probably from the cool intake temps. I feel as though it was worth it already and haven't really pulled anything yet.
I also noticed that if i ran wot up to around 90mph that the egt's were lower.

Back