• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm back, Dahoooley may ride again

Jay

:hello: No problem. happy to be able to help

Don

My recovery is about as good as it's going to get.
The recovery from a stroke is never a certainty, but rather a wild guess at best.
The kidney cancer just complicated things more.

Some days I feel fairly good, and other days are just crap :(

It makes it hard to plan anything.

If it's not how I feel, then it's the weather.

With the hot season here I cringe at trying to get anything done outdoors.
I have not been able to deal with hot weather for a long time, and now my meds make it a real downer.

70 F is sweet, let it get up to 80 F and I'm STRESSED :eek: 90 F and I'm TOAST

Damned meds just Efffff things up, butttttttttttttttttt whatcha gonna do.

Sadly, around here, as soon as it gets cool IT RAINS AGAIN :(

Sorry to hear about your health issues and losing a business, :(

Having a trans sit that long will be fine, just let it idle and go thru the gears to get the oil coating all the internals.

Sadly, no garage

The one shop building with a slab has an 8 foot door, and Fat Butt truck won't fit

Bummer

Sure it will. Just grease the sides and give it a good push! :hihi:

Seriously get a wider door already!

Not like I don't use 4 low to park on the steps to get mine to fit in the garage - I do...

Glad to see you here, and ready to tackle a project! It will be nice to have that sharp truck of yours on the road again.

On the garage - wouldn't it be worth it to pull in up to the fenders, so you were out of the sun and could still work on a rainy day?

Jay

:hello: No problem. happy to be able to help

Don

My recovery is about as good as it's going to get.
The recovery from a stroke is never a certainty, but rather a wild guess at best.
The kidney cancer just complicated things more.

Some days I feel fairly good, and other days are just crap :(

It makes it hard to plan anything.

If it's not how I feel, then it's the weather.

With the hot season here I cringe at trying to get anything done outdoors.
I have not been able to deal with hot weather for a long time, and now my meds make it a real downer.

70 F is sweet, let it get up to 80 F and I'm STRESSED :eek: 90 F and I'm TOAST

Damned meds just Efffff things up, butttttttttttttttttt whatcha gonna do.

Robin,

I'm in the same boat with the heat, anything above 85F and i'm just toast in a matter of minutes. :-( My dually won't fit in my shop door either, it will fit into the storage building i built, but the thing is metal and hot as h*ll unless it's winter. Take it slow and easy, you are a strong person and with work i pray you recover to the point of being able to do what you want to do.
Take care
Don

I fully understand about health issues changing the game, been there, lived that. It's real good to have you back in the game, even if it is a slightly altered game.

Around here it doesn't have to get cool to have rain, last night was a good example. Did you get any boomers up your way? They woke me up about midnight last night, then I couldn't get back to sleep for a while. My low back and sacro-iliac were acting up and aching worse than they have ever done for several years. Today I feel fine, the drastic change in weather?

The boomers were right over our house here in the mid-valley, which hasn't happened for several years. Flash-- 1 to 2 seconds and BOOOOOOMMMM. They finally got farther away about 45 minutes later, but didn't stop for close to 3 hours. I finally went back to bed about 3 AM, not because the boomers bother me, I had tried to get back to sleep but no go, I was wide awake.

The biggest, loudest thunder storm I've been in since I was in Osh Kosh in August the summer of 97.

The other Don

Thanks troops for the well wishes

A friend came over as well as my son in law today, and we stuffed that six and a half back in Dahoooley.

Not ready to run yet as I need batteries, but its in and bolted up.

In the next couple days we will get the tid bits finished up and be ready to lite it off.

I can fool around with it til it gets hot out there, then things stop.

Really not that much left though.

I bought a "Gear Wrench" with flex head, and it worked sweet on the two top tranny bolts that are such a beotch to get to.

I cut the stud top off the two top bolts and things were sweet.

That wrench was worth far more than the $29 price I paid for it at NAPA

With the wiring up out of the way, the access into the two top bolts is good, and with the gear wrench, life is sweet.

Last time we used 4 feet of extensions a wiggly and a deep socket and came in over the tranny from the back :(

Took a long time and lotsa hide.

The two top ones were in and tight in less than 3-4 minutes total. No blood letting either.

The other thing we did to make the install easier was to remove the RH motor mount from the frame.
This allows the engine to slide in far easier than trying to get it to drop over and down.
Just slip it in slightly to one side, and then onto the dowels in the back and boom plop done.

Getting closer

MGW

I've used those flex head gear wrenches a bit, and they are awesome for just the sort of thing you used them for, close spaces, odd angles. But, can't stand them for everyday use so I have a set of rigid offset gear wrenches (Craftsman) and borrow the flex head when I need one. Not exactly convenient, but I can't see buying a set and lugging them around when 98% of the time I don't need them.

Yup

I AGREE.

The floppy head is a tad annoying for most stuff, and can lead to serious HIDE LOSS if you get to going too fast and not paying attention.

I have a standard non flex head Gear Wrenches, and these are just badA$$ for many things.

The worst part of getting an engine back in a GMT 400 truck is the 2 top bell housing bolts.

Everything else is just business as usual.

I certainly am glad I don't have to pull the cab to get the engine in and out like some of the newer rigs :eek:

On a lighter note.
My son in law has been making noise about us putting a flat bed on the rig, AND swapping a Cadillac Escalade front clip on the beast.

The made an Escalade in the GMT400 series, but I'm not sure how that's going to work with the diesel with frontal air flow requirements.

Would look way cool, buttttttttttttttttttt.

Maybe someone here knows something about such a swap ?????????????? :D

I certainly am glad I don't have to pull the cab to get the engine in and out like some of the newer rigs :eek:

I didn't look into it to see if it's true, but a guy I work with was told that to replace the oil pan on his 2009 Ford F250 (gas) 4WD, they had to pull the engine. It's a known problem, they rust out, and it was a dealer telling him that so not sure if it's true. If so, they should fire the engineers, probably the same ones that make a truck where you can't pull the engine without removing the cab!

That's not fair, we drive our cars off the lot and they start rusting! Last winter they used so much salt that the reserves in the entire northeast nearly ran out, they were having to bring more salt in from all over to make it through.

I fail to see why they worry about the ice.
Plow the roads and just live with it.
All that salt can't be good for the environment.
REALLY Eff up the streams I would think.

I didn't look into it to see if it's true, but a guy I work with was told that to replace the oil pan on his 2009 Ford F250 (gas) 4WD, they had to pull the engine. It's a known problem, they rust out, and it was a dealer telling him that so not sure if it's true. . . .

Yeppers . . . Don't ask how I know ;)

Rust would be an east coast issue me thinks . . .

It is a 'brine' thing (pre-treatment) and not limited to us Easties :( That stuff has lead to all sorts of rust and recalls . . . My vote is the chemist / marketing department who sold the various States on the economic benefits of that stuff needs to come out and meet all the people that it 'benefited' :hihi:

But I digress . . .

Missy, :nopics: :)

I fail to see why they worry about the ice.
Plow the roads and just live with it.
All that salt can't be good for the environment.
REALLY Eff up the streams I would think.
When you have thousands of cars and trucks per hour turning that snow into ice you really have no economically viable choice besides salt. Leaving the ice would mean hundreds of wrecks every day. That wouldn't fly. Nor should it.

Back