• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I would like to install a compass/thermometer mirror on my 1994 K3500.

If you ever get around to the yard I wouldnt mind one with a compass. My mirror fell off the glass so I need to re glue the block anyways. Im not in any hurry, Im planning to start working on my truck next month.

So do you want a auto dim/compass/thermometer one? I only go for the newer style mirrors, they look more fit and finish! Plus they have the simotaneous readout for temp and comp, the older ones you either pic the readout as temp or compass, i have the older one in my basement if anyone would be happy with that? Otherwise i will let you know if i pick another up!

So do you want a auto dim/compass/thermometer one? I only go for the newer style mirrors, they look more fit and finish! Plus they have the simotaneous readout for temp and comp, the older ones you either pic the readout as temp or compass, i have the older one in my basement if anyone would be happy with that? Otherwise i will let you know if i pick another up!

Id probably be happy with your old one.

Awesome, does it have all the sensors and everything?

It will have the pigtail sticking out the back with maybe 4-6'' to hide crimps behind the headliner. Im going to have to dig for the "correct" sensor for it as well, Will have to see where i stashed them all lol.. So all you will need to do is fill in the wiring in between.

It will have the pigtail sticking out the back with maybe 4-6'' to hide crimps behind the headliner. Im going to have to dig for the "correct" sensor for it as well, Will have to see where i stashed them all lol.. So all you will need to do is fill in the wiring in between.

Sounds like a plan, that would be awesome to get that from you. Id really appreciate it.

What year did the mirror start having the temp in it. On my 97 just the compass works but if you look at the display carefully you can see that the digit segments are there for the temp also which leads me to two conclusions.

Mine has it but does not work for some reason on temp.
It was there but not used in my year. Thing is I was under the impression that the yellow colored termination under my radiators is an external temp sensor.

Can anybody confirm what year the temp started working. I would not be surprised if someone said 98 as that is the first year that these vehicles were full OBD2. The 97 and 96 are a mish mash of OBD1 and OBD2.

Cheers
Nobby

What year did the mirror start having the temp in it. On my 97 just the compass works but if you look at the display carefully you can see that the digit segments are there for the temp also which leads me to two conclusions.

Mine has it but does not work for some reason on temp.
It was there but not used in my year. Thing is I was under the impression that the yellow colored termination under my radiators is an external temp sensor.

Can anybody confirm what year the temp started working. I would not be surprised if someone said 98 as that is the first year that these vehicles were full OBD2. The 97 and 96 are a mish mash of OBD1 and OBD2.

Cheers
Nobby

Im not quite sure on the year that it started but my first mirror with single line readout came out of a '94 loaded burb. Looked very stock, but you never know. However, my 97 tahoe only had compass, not temp and it was an LT. Does your mirror have any buttons/ selector nob on it?

Here is a few different versions...

Attachments

• another style.jpg
    another style.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 9
  • mid gentex.jpg
    mid gentex.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 7
  • my gentex.jpg
    my gentex.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 70
Im not quite sure on the year that it started but my first mirror with single line readout came out of a '94 loaded burb. Looked very stock, but you never know. However, my 97 tahoe only had compass, not temp and it was an LT. Does your mirror have any buttons/ selector nob on it?

My mom had a 1998 tahoe with both temp and compass.

Another thing to think about is, you can measure the temps where ever you locate the sensor, so if you want to read interior temps just run the sensor up behind the O/H console. Or if you have two displays like GW you can monitor both.
My plan has been to see if I can read inside and outside temps on one display using a switch. I played around with the display a few years ago when doing my Veg oil conversion. I wanted to read the oil temp on the mirror, but it did not work as I think the mirror I had only went to 99*
What is the max temps you guys are able to see on yours? If the temp range is higher on another mirror I would rather monitor engine bay temps than outside temps anyway.

Another thing to think about is, you can measure the temps where ever you locate the sensor, so if you want to read interior temps just run the sensor up behind the O/H console. Or if you have two displays like GW you can monitor both.
My plan has been to see if I can read inside and outside temps on one display using a switch. I played around with the display a few years ago when doing my Veg oil conversion. I wanted to read the oil temp on the mirror, but it did not work as I think the mirror I had only went to 99*
What is the max temps you guys are able to see on yours? If the temp range is higher on another mirror I would rather monitor engine bay temps than outside temps anyway.

I know my dad's 03' and my 06' will both read over 100deg

-Nick

Air temp sensor temp - resistance chart.jpg

If the switch didn't significantly impact/add much resistance to the circuit, it should work. If memory serves, the shop manual specs for these few different sensors showed slightly different calibrations/resistance per temperature.

Here's one of the temp/resistance charts.

Back