• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I need help with removing 93 Suburban brakes

Can you post a picture of it?

If the grooves aren't too bad you could run it. What happens is the brake pad has less surface area to contact and it will wear the pad a little quicker until the pad wears Into those grooves so you loose some pad life is all.

If the grooves are too much you will have unequal braking force and could pose a danger.

6 point 15mm head bolts X4 to hold the hub in on my 1993 and 1995.

Also check rotor thickness when evaluating the need to do this job. Brake pedal pulse is almost a dead giveaway the rotors need to be replaced. I don't bother turning them anymore. As per above this job is best avoided if possible.

only real issue I found was one bolt needs as short a socket as you can get on it to allow room for the breaker bar.

how is the OP progressing? hopefully well.

I think I will make sure I only own one 4wd in the future, this doesnt sound fun at all.

first time is the worst as rust has taken hold of things. IIRC the bolt originally had some lock tight on them too. mine come apart pretty easy now sanded off all the rust and was very generous with the anti sieze.

TY to all who helped us...everyone has been so kind and friendly.
we finally gave up on getting rotors off...what a nightmare!

Only the passenger side rotor had some fine grooves so we put everything on with new ceramic pads and if it squeals or seems uneven, will go to a shop and have them just take the one rotor off to be resurfaced!

TY to all who helped us...everyone has been so kind and friendly.
we finally gave up on getting rotors off...what a nightmare!

Only the passenger side rotor had some fine grooves so we put everything on with new ceramic pads and if it squeals or seems uneven, will go to a shop and have them just take the one rotor off to be resurfaced!

Take the ceramic pads off or else you will be replacing rotors in short order. The factory GM rotors(and even most replacements for that matter) are not hardened to work with ceramic pads. Run ONLY semi metalics unless you like changing rotors out.

Take the ceramic pads off or else you will be replacing rotors in short order. The factory GM rotors(and even most replacements for that matter) are not hardened to work with ceramic pads. Run ONLY semi metalics unless you like changing rotors out.

The ceramics don't stop as well as the Semi metallic IMO.

Tell that to the Space Shuttle crews.
It all depends on the braking, but for most braking semi metalics do stop better. ceramics do work better under extreme heat as they don't gas as much and hold up to the heat better.

ooohh that was rough.
The rotors have to be upgraded to handle the higher heat with the ceramic pads, or you will get softer high heat braking from the pads dissipating all the heat and the rotor staying hot. Warpy warpy maybe Too.

Back