• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I just found out I have the tranfer case rub issue

Hey PEPP, I thought of another option for repairing your transfer case half for a smaller price. I don't know if it will work or not, but check into DURAFIX aluminum welding sticks. They are for aluminum, but stick to many different alloys of aluminum they say.

http://durafix.com/

The bandaid gave out....lost all the fluid...put another on today, plus a new spot...will be ordering me the new case half with built in pump rub fix , since I will be needing a new case half....

Whose case are you going with?

Don't want to jinx myself but I STILL have no sign of it after all this time. I've had the 3 qt M1 fill since about 60k miles though with 1 change since. I need to do that again.

I remember the guy that worked at NP as an engineer insisting that post mid '05 they were all an improved design and shouldn't fail.
Not that that does you any good...

Mine is still good but we had an 07 and 01 go out because of it.

Just changed mine about 15k ago and fluid looked good from my 175k change.

source unknown

Whose case are you going with?

the one in post#19

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...case-rub-issue&p=378199&viewfull=1#post378199

attachment.php

I wonder how the magnesium will mate with the aluminum case half as far as corrosion is concerned? I think Merchant was also selling the OEM transfer case half for around the same price.

The aluminum case half is OEM for 07+. If you use a GOOD quality RTV like GM engine sealer, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Only downside to the GM stuff is it seals so FRIGGEN TIGHT! If you ever had to go back in it, you might end up breaking the case trying to split it.

So is it magnesium for everything up to 2006? I was just concerned about the 2 different metals clashing with each other. Maybe there is no need for concern?

Here is the Merchant OEM case replacement merchant-automotive.com/p-1766-a11-263xhd-and-261xhd-rear-transfer-case-housing.aspx
It does not specify aluminum or magnesium.

Up to late 06 early 07 the cases were magnesium. Starting late 06 when MAGAM took over they went to the aluminum cases. it added something like 8 pounds of weight to the case, but it pretty much illiminated the pump rub issue reducing warranty claims. Pretty sure MERCHANT is selling magnesium replacements.

Back