• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I just found out I have the tranfer case rub issue

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Reaction score
Some have never had it happen and others had it happen quick...no rhyme or reason to when or if it will strike...

I put a band aid on it for now with JB Weld Metal putty...

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

IMAG0127.jpgIMAG0128.jpgIMAG0129.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
not at all considering the abuse it has taken drag racing and all...

a friend of mine I hunt with Dad used to weld for NASA and and said he'd be able to fix the case...I just have to find the time to tear it down and bring it to him and buy the pump rub fix kit...either kennedy or merchants, unless someone can recommend a better kit or better vendor to buy from...I'll call Henry to see what he can come up with...

I'm pretty sure it's aluminum...
Likewise the other way;)
On edit: If you can still get to that article that Mike L posted about the transfer cases and about the 3 qt fill, it's discussed about it being Magnesium in there.

Likewise the other way;)
On edit: If you can still get to that article that Mike L posted about the transfer cases and about the 3 qt fill, it's discussed about it being Magnesium in there.

I found it ...yep you're right...magnesium...as good as my friends dad is I still think he can do it...

If magnesium burns, I don't think anything can put it out. Very dangerous substance. They use magnesium for fire starters. It burns very hot.

It would be an alloy of magnesium so it wouldn't burn out of control.

From what I know it can be welded and TIG is the likely choice. My guess is it would weld similar to aluminum.

I see Merchant has dropped the pump kit to $75. Just got an e-mail from them today. New housing 1/2 at $295.

Pepp, they can be welded. We have done a few successfully here at the shop. We did not weld them in house but they were sent out. The kennedy kit I have used and it is veyr good. FWIW

Joe,

I ordered Merchants pump rub kit for the $75

Mike,

When Steve and I crack it open I will assess the case...and I may just use the JB weld on the inside as well...if it looks as if it won't hold up, Bill sent me a link to a redesigned heavy duty "aluminum" case half made by Idaho Transmission on Ebay for only $229

alumtc1.jpgalumtc2.jpgalumtc3.jpg

Back