• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

hypertech and efi

midknightrider

Reaction score
can i program with efi live to just get rid of speed limiter or would i be paying as much for that as i would just going out to get a progrmmer that does it for me. i have the switch in my truck for efi due to prior efi hook up but didnt wanna wreck tranny so i went back to hypertech.:noidea:

EFI runs 750. So, you would just have to want EFI if your just wanting to correct your speedometer. You can run about 70HP over stock in most cases and not hurt your stock tranny as long as your sensible..:)

the guy that tuned mine said i should always use tow haul mode when i have efi turned on. hypertech you dont have to but it helps when you want to take off fast. thats why i was ify on tranny i had the 90 hp tune but then turned my boost down at low rpms for fuel mileage and i didnt like the power band with that. im not looking to buy efi just the tunes. i know i need someone with efi to do it. it cost 300 last time for him to tune it but he did give me my money back and i let him keep 50 for his troubles. but if i gotta pay 100 to just get speed limiter off that sucks.

the guy that tuned mine said i should always use tow haul mode when i have efi turned on. hypertech you dont have to but it helps when you want to take off fast. thats why i was ify on tranny i had the 90 hp tune but then turned my boost down at low rpms for fuel mileage and i didnt like the power band with that. im not looking to buy efi just the tunes. i know i need someone with efi to do it. it cost 300 last time for him to tune it but he did give me my money back and i let him keep 50 for his troubles. but if i gotta pay 100 to just get speed limiter off that sucks.

Yes, you would have to pay 100.. :(

danm it i should of asked him to leave that function on. i was dealing with this guy on the other site but lost contact with him cause of all the bullcrap! so if i do decide to do it will the hypertech work with efi. maybe i will check the efi section out and ask on there. what do you think is better go all with efi or all with hypertech. i wonder if anyone can get rid of speed limiter on the hypertech with a updated version is that possible.

^^^exactly its a one time investment.

Just go with it. If you really dont think you want to learn how to use it then go with a PPE.

Technically your trannny would love you if you always drove in T/H. Why?? It runs cooler because the converter is always locked up, thus no slippage(good slip) which gives you cooler fluid.

The speed limiter takes a good 10 seconds to disable with EFI Live

Technically your trannny would love you if you always drove in T/H. Why?? It runs cooler because the converter is always locked up, thus no slippage(good slip) which gives you cooler fluid.

So... what are the downsides of running in T/H? Obviously coasting changes quite a bit since T/H changes the VVT to act sort of like an exhaust brake. And I'm wondering why the General put the symbols on the shifter they did that indicates there is no overdrive with T/H... that's not strictly true. Anybody ever monitor fuel economy while running T/H when not actually towing anything?

One other observation... I've noticed that since I've been playing with my tune with my Predator that my tranny acts like it's having to learn how to deal with the extra HP again - doing the traditional search for the appropriate shift point. The odd thing is that I've used T/H before with the +40 hp tow tune before and I thought Ally had all of this stuff figured out before. But... we towed our TT about 400 miles this last weekend and it wouldn't shift right for anything at first... though the last little bit Sunday was better and approaching normal. :noidea:

Running in tow/haul when not towing anything is going to lower your fuel mileage because the transmission will be turning higher RPMS before it shifts into the next gear. Especially in town when it holds those gears alot longer right in the normal driving range.

The reason for the symbol on the shifter is because if you hold the tow/haul button for a min it will lock out overdrive and a light will come on the dash telling you so.

If you have been adjusting your tune or switching between tunes, then yes it is going to have to relearn everything.

Running in tow/haul when not towing anything is going to lower your fuel mileage because the transmission will be turning higher RPMS before it shifts into the next gear. Especially in town when it holds those gears alot longer right in the normal driving range.

The reason for the symbol on the shifter is because if you hold the tow/haul button for a min it will lock out overdrive and a light will come on the dash telling you so.

If you have been adjusting your tune or switching between tunes, then yes it is going to have to relearn everything.

Thanks for the info... and sorry for the thread hijack... :focus:

Just to clear a few things up in here:

You don't have to run in T/H mode when you're running a strong tune, it's just a good idea to click the button before you poor the coal to it. Will it last otherwise?, probably... just not as long, and it runs cooler (like mentioned).

Anyone looking to try EFIlive is looking at $100 buy in for the license. This money goes directly to EFIlive- any extra you pay is for the the tuners work. Unless the tuner has streams, $6000 worth of prepaid licenses to tune all year Dmaxes without limitations.

You can just turn the speed limiter off if you want, I haven't tried to run a programmer like the Hypertech after that process, so I can't say positively - but the way the programmer works should not affect your speedometer changes previously made by EFILive. (key word: should)

Nick

it all depends nick. if it downloads the stock tune and replaces it like efi does, then it will be changed once it uploads the pre programmed tune from hyper into the truck. correct?????

it all depends nick. if it downloads the stock tune and replaces it like efi does, then it will be changed once it uploads the pre programmed tune from hyper into the truck. correct?????

The programmer boxes pull the stock tune off and run a script on it, then they flash it back into the truck.

okay. did not know that. i thought it was prepakaged tune. and you kinda swapped like efi.

on another note, did they have any release on the tcm torque management stuff like you sent me a while back? i want it bad:D

okay. did not know that. i thought it was prepakaged tune. and you kinda swapped like efi.

on another note, did they have any release on the tcm torque management stuff like you sent me a while back? i want it bad:D

Never made it public. See if you can get on the beta boards and snag it.

Nick

Back