• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Howdy

ForgeOfTruth

Reaction score
Greetings from the Land of Ten Thousand lakes! I have been a diesel truck enthusiast for a few years now. I have a 1996 k2500 Diesel Suburban that I picked up in Washington state. My lovely bride and I are empty nesters and recently moved to a farm. I love my sub but am discovering that I need a pickup a lot more than a suburban. (No kids to haul around anymore) I also own a MK3 Jetta TDI that I commute with. I am looking forward to the discussions here and feel confidant that I can learn a great deal in the process. Thanks!

Terry

Thanks! I thought so too when I first saw it. I have a golden retriever that looks just like that. Sans jacket, pipe & glasses of course. The hat may look a little goofy but they are awfully nice in the winter around here. Especially if the wind is blowing. :)

p.s. Here's a couple of pics of my truck

DSC01400.jpgDSC01401.jpg

Nice burb! Welcome Board,Terry! You just found the number one 6.5 shop on the web!

Welcome To TTS. I am guessing here but,,,,,,,,,, If your thinking of selling the burb to buy a 6.5 truck I bet there will be a few of us tryin to get a deal going...........Nice burb !!!!!!!!!!!!

"Welcome To TTS. I am guessing here but,,,,,,,,,, If your thinking of selling the burb to buy a 6.5 truck I bet there will be a few of us tryin to get a deal going...........Nice burb !!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes, hopefully. As I mentioned earlier, I have been discovering that I need a pickup more than a burb.

So, do you think anyone would be interested in a trade for a pickup of comparable year and condition? What say you? :)

p.s. I would like to find a half ton if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Everyone needs a Burb and a truck!!:hihi:

:iagree:
Welcome aboard.

We've always had a Burb and something else. Nothing like a Burb, although there are many 'wannabes'.
When I fold down the middle seats and remove the 3rd seat, it's a longbed PU with a hard cover. With dual A/C and heaters. And surround sound.
Best of all, the barn doors make it SO much easier for this old fart to load and unload.

I DO have a '64 c10 for hauling trashy loads or debris, but if you're going to use it seriously, the heavy half or 3/4 ton is better than 1/2 ton; I've rebuilt the rear suspension and it has 2 kinds of overload springs on it.

What part of Minnesota are you in?

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Dave, I live near the small town of Buffalo which is about 40 miles west of Minneapolis. Part of the reason I wanted a half ton is for the fuel economy. My burb only gets about 16 or 17 on the highway with 4:10 gears in it. And that is with just passengers and a few suitcases. It's kinda hard to toss a few hay bales in the back of the sub or haul a load of chickens to the butcher without making a huge mess. With a pickup you can just hose it out and be done.

p.s. Nice pic of a C-130A there. I used to work on E models at the Minneapolis Air Reserve station. 934th Airlift wing.

Dave, I live near the small town of Buffalo which is about 40 miles west of Minneapolis. Part of the reason I wanted a half ton is for the fuel economy. My burb only gets about 16 mpg...clip...p.s. Nice pic of a C-130A there. I used to work on E models at the Minneapolis Air Reserve station. 934th Airlift wing.

At least you're close to the city if you need it. We make a monthly run to Costco and Trader Joe's (yours is at 12105 Elm Creek Blvd N, Maple Grove, MN 55369 ...763-315-1739)

For MPG, definitely upgrade the exhaust (the SSD intake elbow is good, bit IMO the filter is too small) to Flowmaster DP and X-over, then empty out the "soot filter" or kitty con. . a 3" mandrel bent cat-back without muffler is good for me, as the turbo pretty much chops up the exhaust noise and spits out a mellow tone. Mine got 15mpg highway when we got it and now 18.7 is the WORST we ever get in traffic and loaded on the hills. a Walbro lift pump from http://leroydiesel.com/ (Burning Oil) is cheap insurance too. In my signature are the rest of my mods which are the minimum for me. If I live long enough I'll get an ATT.

USAFSS Goodfellow, Hickam, Travis, etc... The Herc pic was at Phan Rang, a rare one in color.
'Nuff said.
Thanks for your service.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, Thanks for the info. I do have a SSD intake elbow with the K&N filter that came with it. I would love to get on of their 4" exhaust systems also. What filter would suggest if that one is too restrictive?

Thank you for your service also. I joined the Navy in 1981 and met quite a few Vietnam vets including my wife's Father (Ret. 1987) and step Grandfather (Ret. 1969). All aircraft mechanics.

How much work do you plan to do with it and what type of work. Towing? How much weight?

You could beef up a half ton some but if you get a 3/4 ton 2500 or 1 ton 3500 you will have easier emissions stuff ie F engine. I don't think the 1/2 tons get that much better mpg than 2500? I get 14-16 mpg mixed driving and have 220K miles. Farm to me equals long bed 2500. I shunned long beds for a long time but wish mine was a long bed now. Trade off in parking but if you work with it a good bit a long bed is nice.

God Bless the ground crews and the geniuses that keep the birds in the air. “We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.” (quote from Konstantin Josef Jireček)

For the filter, it really depends how tired you bet of washing and oiling that one, as with just a little dust & dirt it flows badly. I have a larger one that I moved the battery to on top of the fender to clear. I'm going to get a Amsoil dry one from Leroy. He's a great guy, a long time member here, and gives great service. http://leroydiesel.com/Home_Page.html
You cam PM him with the size you want and he'll get it to you for a decent price.

How much work do you plan to do with it and what type of work. Towing? How much weight?

You could beef up a half ton some but if you get a 3/4 ton 2500 or 1 ton 3500 you will have easier emissions stuff ie F engine. I don't think the 1/2 tons get that much better mpg than 2500? I get 14-16 mpg mixed driving and have 220K miles. Farm to me equals long bed 2500. I shunned long beds for a long time but wish mine was a long bed now. Trade off in parking but if you work with it a good bit a long bed is nice.

I guess the only reason I was thinking about a half ton pickup is because of the taller gears. My burb has 4:10 gears in it for towing. I don't do any towing outside of maybe a fishing boat. I do like my suburban and have pretty much decided to keep it. Now I just have to come up with some ways to better MPG out of it on the cheap so to speak. I would love to get an overdrive unit but who can afford those at 3 grand? If I can find a reasonably priced trailer or maybe even a beater pickup to haul hay, wood and other "junk" that will solve my problems.

Put 3:42's in the pick up. $300-500 to totally rebuild the rear axle with new R&P and all bearings.

I have them in my 96 1 ton was 4:10. (love it)

Back