• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many hours for a 6.5L Turbo injector replacement? What needs taken out?

about the only things I need to do this, other than the injectors obviously, is the:
rubber return lines (and clamps if necessary)
copper washers for the injectors
upper intake gasket
lower intake gasket

this is all, correct? any recommendations on goop for the gaskets, or leave them dry?

thanks guys!

Pm me I have a shop for you that will take care of your needs economically. Only new German Bosch nozzles with a guarantee.

Will do when I get doing injectors. I think I'm at about 100,000 miles on all of the vehicles, so it's about time. I did them all one after the other last time. Who'd of thunk they would all stay so close in mileage and all have to be done at the same time again?

I have a GM issued 6.5L book, and IIRC it recommends regular anti-seize on the threads, obviously taking care to avoid getting it anywhere but the threads. I love the stuff, its gonna get some. :)

need opinions: the one injector in a set of German Bosch's has a tiny bit of rust in the inlet, doesnt look like its where the line seats. do you think it will be fine, or should I find another one?

These are used ones I am putting India Bosch tips in.

I can pull a set out of a 93 parts motor with only 122K on it, but they are unknown as well, but still sealed to the lines.

I wussed out and am having the local shop do this set. I couldnt come up with a cheap source for shims, so I figured for an hour of 70dollar/hour shop labor getting them within 25Lbs, I would go that route.

the guy looked at them and said that it was surface rust, so hopefully he is right. I might call him in the morning and mention I have another set if he wants to try them instead.

the current ones are soaking overnight due to massive amounts of carbon buildup apparently.

Update:

the shop got them perfectly clean, and all exactly at 2150 psi. downside, I am 160 bucks more poor. the extra cleaning and checking pop PSI on the other set i got from teds I am sure added to it.

I am buttoning the right side back together. I didnt even get past the front one before I said **** it and I pulled the turbo. I left the intake manifold on, figured the engine was filthy enough I would just dump dirt in, so I took off the lower line holders and bent the lines out of the way. Of course I tore the turbo drain gasket, so we will see if the home made one works. jacked the exhaust with a bottle jack to get to the 3rd GP, and dropped it to get to the 4th. the fancy kent moore glow plug wiring grab tool works awesome.

I am officially in love with this truck, ever single fastener has come apart rather easily. 250K must free stuff up.

oh, and I got a few hours in on saturday, so today was mostly all day. hopefully I can get it back together before dark tomorrow. nothing like being speedy. :)

the only thing that concerns me so far is no matter how much I blew, there still ended up being some powdery rust in the threads, so while the glowplugs and injectors were out, I stuffed the blow nozzle into the injector hole and blew. hopefully not much ended up in the cylinders. What's everyone else's thoughts on this? am I gonna score the walls up?

the plugs are 60G Delcos via rock auto, and the squirts are German bosch bodies from another 93 6.5 diesel via e-bay with india Bosch tips via rock auto.

Does anybody have any opinions on Ted's truck injectors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360532325184&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

94 - 05 Chevy GMC 6.5L Turbo Diesel Fuel Injectors, set of 8, made in USA, gov't

Seller information
ted-s-trucks (2644 )
100% Positive feedback
Save this seller
See other items
Visit store: Ted's Trucks N Stuff

AdChoice
Item condition:Remanufactured
Time left: 25d 13h (Jan 06, 2013 19:28:54 PST)
Quantity:
More than 10 available
Price:US $220.00

Any recommendations on where to buy injectors if Ted's are not recommended? I want to buy one set before I start taking injectors to be tested. I never know how things will go or how I will feel. So I want to take a set out, replace them and then send them in for testing &/or rebuilding

I have a set of those, mine were claimed to be brand new (but I think the listing still said rebuilt) instead of rebuilt. also claimed to be NA spec, but they popped from 2050 to 2200. also claimed to be made in USA, but have no way to confirm.

I would be willing to sell them, id like what I got for them, since I did have a shop check the PSI, but since they arent very consistent, not much point in it. :)

update on the truck, the issue is definitely in the timing and/or pump. The truck still pukes smoke and runs rought at idle, but you can tell the new injectors made a difference, a bit more cackle, crisper throttle response, better mpg, etc. now just need a gear drive timing set! :)

a symptom that may help the diagnossis is that it is noticably smoother above 2100 RPM or so. is it just horribly out of time due to a wore out factory chain?

Extremely late but my book calls for sealant on a couple of the intake bolts. There is a good thread here someplace on installing the intake. It has torque specs and notes which bolts get sealant. I also used sealant on the upper intake on the through bolts

On your injectors - What does it cost to get them injectors set for pressure? Is it the same price as having them rebuilt?

I have a GM issued 6.5L book, and IIRC it recommends regular anti-seize on the threads, obviously taking care to avoid getting it anywhere but the threads. I love the stuff, its gonna get some. :)

I got them exactly at 2150, and I supplied the injectors and the tips, and so labor, shims, etc cost me 165. not cheap, but they are all exact. Will try Slim Shady's preffered shop next time, as well as give this one another chance by focusing on just one set, and not being in a rush.

the teds injectors I just had him pop and note the PSI, all he did was hook them up and pop them.

I will see if anything leaks, I pulled two front manifold bolts on the right side to re-adjust the line holder, and I saw white stuff on the threads. otherwise, intake was left on.

I am about 60 miles from home, ol girl should make it!

So basically your looking at about $165 to have the pop pressure set on the Ted's injectors?

Slim's man quoted me $43 each plus shipping for rebuilts. I have a set on the way. I did a lot of calling around and never came up with anything new so reluctantly I am going with rebuilts.
I said I'd never go that route again but all I was finding was made in China or other stuff I wasn't interested in

And I do have more confidence in Sliim's man than the other shops I tried

IMO, if its all bosch stuff, I wouldnt worry too bad. a pefectionist doing the job doesnt hurt either. mine arent leaking, so i am rather pleased. truck made it home btw.

I am hoping it may be cheaper than 165 next time.

glad to hear you got a set coming!

So basically your looking at about $165 to have the pop pressure set on the Ted's injectors?

Slim's man quoted me $43 each plus shipping for rebuilts. I have a set on the way. I did a lot of calling around and never came up with anything new so reluctantly I am going with rebuilts.
I said I'd never go that route again but all I was finding was made in China or other stuff I wasn't interested in

And I do have more confidence in Sliim's man than the other shops I tried

I have used this shop for quite some time and their workmanship is right on. No slouch, this shop does the work for a very respectable 6.5 engine builder in the area and they are VERY familiar with the 6.5. They also will set the pop pressure at anything you want at no extra charge during the rebuild. The shop owner owns a few diesel shops and he is a good knowledgeable guy. Met him here in Detroit at his main shop in the hood. Got to love an owner that has multiple shops and still likes to be at the counter. OLD SCHOOL auto/ diesel my kind of shop, hit the counter and talk about your problem. :)

By the way I make no commission of any sort from this, I appreciate good workmanship and they do that. The ONLY reason I recommend them to people.
Slim

Does anybody have any opinions on Ted's truck injectors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360532325184&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

94 - 05 Chevy GMC 6.5L Turbo Diesel Fuel Injectors, set of 8, made in USA, gov't

Any recommendations on where to buy injectors if Ted's are not recommended? I want to buy one set before I start taking injectors to be tested.

I looked at some injector bodies while chatting up the lead 6.2 / 6.5 mechanic at the National Guard regional repair site. Turns out they just throw the old injectors out! He gave me 8 long body and 7 shorts. Of the long bodies, 3 were Delphi, 4 were Lucas and one was Bosch. Of the shorts, 6 were Bosch and 1 was Delphi.
IMG_1055s.jpg

Not sure what Ted's units are but they aren't Bosch and the photographer seems to have taken care to not to show the manufacturer's Brand nor much of the unit numbers.

thats because 097 is the only thing on them, period. nothing else. dont need to take care to avoid anything on that! :)

good find you got there Paveltolz! I'd be in touch with that guy and take all you can! match up a set, fire em off on e-bay for 50 bucks! :)

Back