• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How is a 6.0 ?

Wow, thanx! I'm not a ford fan, but I watched all 6 clips nonstop,
Glad I don't have a 6.0, may get a 7.3 if the 6.5 catches fire... and melts the Burb. Prolly not.
Good luck Kenny.

I love the 7.3. Sounds wonderful, has lots or power from the factory, very durable(as long as you do your oil changes), isn't plagued with all the emissions stuff to go wrong and can very easily give a stock cummins a run for its money.

Kenny, the reason you can get the 6.0 cheaper than the 7.3 is for the same reason the 6.5 doesn't cost much to own these days. Its all about word of mouth. Sure WE may have solved many of the issues of the 6.5 in the same way the Ford guys solved the issues with the 6.0, but to average Joe- He is going to know that the 6.0 has a bad reputation. Most people don't want to buy a truck and then have to dump additional money into it without planning on it.

In essence, in the same way we can get the 6.5 for cheap because we know what to do with them and what makes them tick, you can use that to your advantage and get a used 6.0 for cheap and keep it running just as great as a 7.3

I think my biggest issue with the 6.0 is not that some things may need to be corrected with aftermarket parts. That I have no problem with, but the idea of having to lift the cab off an Excursion to do headgaskets which it may verywell need is not appealing to me...:D

I think my biggest issue with the 6.0 is not that some things may need to be corrected with aftermarket parts. That I have no problem with, but the idea of having to lift the cab off an Excursion to do headgaskets which it may verywell need is not appealing to me...:D

Yes sir, that would not be fun.

It's probably been mentioned in this thread already, but I know there are many folks who claim to have changed head gaskets without removing the cab. So it can be done without cab lifting.

with much cussinn.....:D
Which years are prone to HG problems and if left stock does it make a difference. I remember driving an '04 and it hauled ass pretty good stock. Losing the EGR doesn't bother me. Doing Hg's does.

I don't think there is any difference in failed HGs issues based on model year.

However, there most definitely is a significant increased HG failure rate in tuned trucks.

I think in a way the cab removal may be beneficial in a way. But its a double edged sword to me. If you have the tools and machinery to successfully remove the cab then it will give you tons of access to almost all of the engine and drivetrain. But if you don't it could end up a real PITA. and cost you more than the gains.

Of course having to remove the cab off your truck is one thing, but a full excursion is... well a whole nother ball game :D

I'll agree with w_huisman, get the OASIS report from Ford on this truck your looking at and look for the reoccurring problems.

What year Excursion is it Kenny?

03-early 05 have the most head gasket issues. Trucks built as of 01-05 have the factory improvements to the head gaskets in them, but it was still a band-aid fix according to what I read on most FORD forums. Studs and the late model gaskets are said to fix it for good if done right. Just look at it this way, for what you save due to it's reputation you will spend to make it reliable. In the end though you will have a stronger engine that should be reliable and good to go(just not emissions legal:eek:):h). I know that the EXCURSIONS with a 6.0 don't bring squat down here at auction according to my friends that go to the auction's, but the 7.3's are worth there weight in gold still.

Don't have a 6.0 in mind yet, just weighin it all out. I found a nice 2000 with a 7.3 104k on it but can't find anybody in PA to do a prelim so I may just have to do a road trip. I'm also hampered until I sell the Lemon. I was offered 15 k by a used car dealer. Didn't really want to take that much of a beating on it but atleast if something else goes wrong in it I won't feel guilty. I stand to lose about 5k on the truck. That was a very hard hit. I don't know what crack I was smoking when I bought hence taking my time this time around. I'm pretty burned out to cummins right now with all the problems with that truck and the continuing problems with the 8.3 in my big truck which is a bigger version of the same engine. It's a shame cause they are probably the easiest engine to work on out of all of them but I'm getting tired of working on it.

Well, Would probably prefer a 7.3PS just because I know the engine better, have owned and worked on them a little so basically 2000-2003 early . definitely 4x4. 2wd ain't much good in New England. I paid too much for the Dodge. I didn't do my homework and got suckered. That will not happen again. I knew better than to buy from a used car dealer. They are the scum of the earth every last one of them. The make Politicians look honest.

Can't believe I had forgotten about this. I read the whole thread a long ways back for reading material and had saved it, which may do you some good:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ford-excursion-cummins-swap-hpcr-48re-t176490.html

Another one of those "sit back, grab a beer and enjoy" things. Like any engine swap the biggest thing is finding parts that wont break the bank. And, like he says, it cost significantly less for a V10 gasser than it does for the powerstroke version.

You may not choose to run an HPCR and go simple with a 12 valve, but either way, it will not only save you in the long run, but make for a wicked project :D

And while it seems I'm on a roll here :D here is the article from 4 wheeler magazine where this guy had swapped in a 5.9 cummins for his 7.3 Powerstroke.

Enjoy :haha:

And while it seems I'm on a roll here :D here is the article from 4 wheeler magazine where this guy had swapped in a 5.9 cummins for his 7.3 Powerstroke.

Enjoy :haha:

No Linky. The problem with swapping a Diesel into a Gasser is in CT it would not pass emission because the VIN would come up gasser.

whoops. lets try that again:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...on_powerstroke_cummins_engine_swap/index.html

Is there no way to bypass that law? I know some states have a law that lets you swap essentially any motor in and your exempt from emissions testing, you just have to go through safety. But I guess CT isn't one of them.

If you have time and can put up with jackasses, try calling your state inspection agency and let them know your plans to see if there is any way around it. Possibly a change in the VIN number.

Where in PA is it?

I initially was going to get a Excursion diesel. I don't think I ever saw a 7.3L for under 12-15K and they all had 100-150K on the clock. Plenty of 6.0's and some were in a good price mileage range.
My brother works at Ford dealer and he said 90+ percent of the major problems they see w/ 6.0 are:
1. No or inadequate fluid maintenance
2. Inadequate aftermarket parts to include filters.
3. Aftermarket tuners.

Now granted, this engine is not a forgiving as others, but many people bring on their own problems.

Til I weighed it all out, I went with a 6.5 Suburban knowing everything that was/could going to go wrong and how to maybe cut it off at the pass. I mean the suburban was a 1/3 of the price of an Expedition.

The real problem is the vehicles that are meticulously maintained are owned by people like the ones on this board- and they never seem to part with anything. Bunch of hoarders, I swear!!!

Last edited:
The real problem is the vehicles that are meticulously maintained are owned by people like the ones on this board- and they never seem to part with anything. Bunch of hoarders, I swear!!!
That's funny!):h

Back