• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

how hard is it to rebuild a 93 4l80e transmission

gcxcountrystar1

Reaction score
ok so i have been looking for a used transmission for my truck since my reverse went out. my transmission is hard to find. i have went to transmission shops in my area and its 2000-3000 for a rebuild. i just dont have that type of money. i am wondering how hard it would be for me to pull the tranny, and rebuild it myself. i have no experence with transmissions. i can find used transmission with 150k+ miles for 600 bucks but dont think its worth the risk of buying one and then in a few months it goes bad.

i have bought used trans with good luck in the past. if the price is right it might be worth the risk. you don't have to stick to a 93. an updated wiring kit can be had, improving the harness that is prone to failure. how did you determine yours was bad? electronic parts can be replaced by you in just a few hours. there is also ways to get back on the road without a lot of coin. all the info is in this thread. i have never looked beyond the pan parts but have heard it isn't hard.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?31195-best-place-to-buy-solenoid-A-and-B

my reverse slowly started going out. and when i went to work one day it just stopped working. buddy of mine said the tranny was not good and needed to be replaced

Back