• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do you set permissions in XP ?

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I really hate this OS. I want to put win2000 back in but the new MOBO won't support it. I can't get the permissions to set on certain folder I don't want other users to access. It has the option under security for make folder private but it won't let me check the box. I hate XP.

XP is far better than win2K, Kenny. Just different.

When you reformatted your drive, did you use NTFS or FAT32? (If you used FAT32, you cannot set permissions on files or folders.)

You can only set privacy permissions on files/folders within your own profile (in 'My Documents' or on your 'Desktop'.)

Are you logged on as an administrator?

I figured it out(with a litte web search). I am running NTFS. I have not run Fat32 since Win95...:rofl:
On the fresh install of XP (now I forget what I did) I had to go into the file setting and uncheck something then bang, it was just like setting permissions in 2000. So far so good. Gotta keep wifey out of my Pron collection....:devil:
Nah. Just Keep my business stuff more secure.

This was the fix..

simple file sharing enabled...Control Panel/Folder Options/View/Use Simple File Sharing way down at bottom
Had to disable it.

Good job, Kenny.

Here's a word to the wise, though; XP is a pretty solid OS, and is fairly secure... now that you have locked permissions on that folder, make sure you keep good backups because if your OS dies, that folder is locked. You won't be able to just hook your hard drive onto another machine and get your files that way - the folder will be secure and tied to your user account under the previous WinXP install (they all have unique ID numbers (SIDs).

Yes Pron rules...
Jim elaborate. So if I save files to another computer on my network those are not affected. what you are saying is if my OS dies and I try to slave the HDD into another Machine to get stuff off I won't be able to because of encryption ? I partitioned the HDD and store everything on the partition. So if I reload the OS I won't be able to access those files ?? What about files I save to my server ? Or is the encryption only on the folder itself and not inherent to the files ? I'm confused. this is why I am stubborn and never upgrade until I have to. I ran WinNT 4.0 until I couldn't get a Mobo to support it anymore. That is the only reason I went o XP cause no decnt Mobos support 2000 anymore.

The same thing would happen with NT 4 and Win 2K too, Kenny.

When you install WinXP (or the others), the install gets a unique Security Identifier (SID), and all the users of that particular system have the same SID attached to their user accounts.

When you secure a folder under NTFS, your Username and SID are associated with that security tag - and nobody else can open it (depending on how you set it). Say for instance you build another XP machine and make yourself a user account with the same name, then hook this drive up to that machine... your new user account may have the same name, but will have a DIFFERENT SID, and you won't be able to open it.

That's why I say 'keep good backups'.

on edit: If you look in your registry, you will see your SID listed in the HKEY_Users group. Each user will have one something like this:

S-1-5-21-7623811015-3361044348-030300820-1013

I used to have a hack lying around for changing SIDs, but I am not sure where it is, at the moment... it used to be easy, but since SP2, Microsoft quit supporting that protocol years ago when it was discovered hackers could get into secure files by sniffing and duplicating UID/SID identifiers.

Last edited:
If I copy a folder from this machine that has security set on it to another drive or machine I can open it on that machine so this only pertains the the folder on the drive the permissions are set ??

If I copy a folder from this machine that has security set on it to another drive or machine I can open it on that machine so this only pertains the the folder on the drive the permissions are set ??

Yes, that's correct. You cannot copy a secured folder from your machine to another disk UNLESS you have access permissions, so XP assumes you are the rightful owner of that folder and can do with it what you want.

Nobody else would be able to do that to your folder.

That's why, if your XP crashes, you cannot copy or access that folder - since you won't be signed into your original profile (and canot be assigned your proper UID/SID tag), NTFS will assume you are NOT the rightful owner and will deny you access.

=========

This is ASSUMING that the other drive is not 'mounted' to your XP system... like adding another hard drive in your current machine ... because that drive will also be subject to that machine's security policies.

If the other drive is in another PC on your network, or is a USB drive, etc, then you're OK because your machine-specific security policy isn't in effect for that volume.

You know your stuff...we gotta talk about Active directory someday....:D
I got lost when I upgraded from NT 4.0 Server to Win2000 Advanced server. NT4 was so easy. I had set my workstations to authenticate log on with the server rather than local machine but in 2000 Advanced server it's way more complicated than I can understand.

Check out www.dropbox.com - it is any easy way to upload and sync files from anywhere on any PC. It is pretty cool. I will use it when I have install files I need and don't want to carry a USB jump drive or a CD, etc.. pretty nifty..

on edit:
They give you 2GB free - have to pay if you want to use more than that though.

How about an external hard drive? They have USB external hard drive cheap that are huge.. you can keep data backed up and stored on it - then it won't matter about if your PC dies or not - it will be a quick and easy way to backup and store your data in the event of catastrophic failure of some sort.

Back