• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HID fog lights

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
I've gotten a ton of pm's as to where I mounted my fog ballasts. Its easier to take some pictures instead of describing where. Now, its kinda hard to tell where exactly these are but I'll do my best to make it clear as to exactly where they are.

The first pic is the drivers side. Its hard to take pictures down there and have them come out decent because everything's so close. Basically, the first pic shows the view from directly inside the stock bumper, looking from the ground up.

Second is the pass side. Both sides are different because neither side has the same material under there. I think they're in a good location now, out of the elements.

The only thing we added was those rubber fuse protectors. The standard kit comes with regular fuses and after driving on snow and salt for a couple days, the stock fuse was already corroded badly and it lost all connections. I bought the rubber weather protector and we wired those in place of the stock fuses. Now it stays dry and I havent had any problems yet.

Attachments

• drivers side ballast.jpg
    drivers side ballast.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 78
  • pass side ballast.jpg
    pass side ballast.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for the pics, Nick. The NBS is pretty much the same as yours, at least from the underside. :thumbsup:

Just remember that when you install these under there to put some kind of fuse protector to keep the elements out. Mine literally corroded in like 2 days.

You referring to an actual fuse, or just the connections in general? I'm not running inline fuses on these. Just chopping off the old bulb plug, soldering the new wires, then heat shrink the connection.

The fuse. My kits came with inline fuses. I guess its pretty much a fail safe for them.

How's this look? It's under the passenger side. I will complete the driver side tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 36
Just remember that when you install these under there to put some kind of fuse protector to keep the elements out. Mine literally corroded in like 2 days.

speaking of corrosion, your truck looks like it took a salt beating up there in NY.

speaking of corrosion, your truck looks like it took a salt beating up there in NY.

Yeah, you have no idea. My leveling kit and Bilsteins look like pure trash now. This is 1 winter.

Attachments

• HPIM0859.jpg
    HPIM0859.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 37
  • HPIM0935.jpg
    HPIM0935.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 43
Yeah, you have no idea. My leveling kit and Bilsteins look like pure trash now. This is 1 winter.

If you would have to FL sooner then this would not have happened. ;) Not to go off topic, but Im getting fog lights for the truck, did not come with them, shoudl they bolt right up? (not talking about the cutting stuff)

I have the Baja Designs lights and they have an internal ballast to make life easy and they are hella bright..... best part is if you break a lense, instead of buy a stupidly expensive light to replace it, you can rebuild it by calling them and ordering a lense, so they save you a ton of money in the long run....

Dunes, you will have to hook me up with a set or two of those Baja Designs when my bumper shows up.

Just made an interesting discovery tonight. As I pulled into the driveway, my wife pointed out there was something dragging in the front of the truck. Got out to find the ears on the fog light ballast had been ground down quite a bit. Not only the ballast, but the starter too. It appears as though the double sided adhesive didn't stick too well to the frame. I've never seen this stuff give up so quickly. It's usually a pain to get off. Cleaned both ballasts, starters, and frame with acetone, but both slipped off the frame. Must have been something left behind, but not worth chancing again. Need to find something to zip-tie them to tomorrow.

Nick,

Luckily you got out of New York I think your truck would have rusted apart in like 4 years :eek:

what do you want a picture of? they come with a black ring, but you can get them with blue or red as well, but the rings are additional...
fuego3.jpg

oooo mikey wants that.......i musta got a different hid kit then you guys...the ballasts for nmy fog like are zip tied to back side of my radiator supports....way out of the way of dirt and grime

they arent cheap lights but they are worth every penny in my mind.... the HID lights are $325 each light.. the Halogens are $125 each light...

Back