• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hey, everyone!

Steve K

Reaction score
Just signed up. I'm a semi-retired caterpillar mech. of over 40 years. I say semi because I still do some engine rebuilds for my former employer, not because I have to, because I want to. I have a 1980 GMC 4x4. I bought it new with a 350 gasser. Diesels weren't available in 4x4's yet then. In 1982 I put a 6.2 in it and a 14 bolt rear diff. Ran that for a number of years till a piston came apart. Pulled that out and installed a 6.5 short block using my 6.2 heads and fuel system. A couple years back I scored a 6.5 turbo with a bad piston. Swapped all the exhaust and intake to my engine and engineered splitting the exhaust after the turbo to 2-3" duals straight to exit. Drive line is thru the original 4 spd. and transfer case with a Gear Vendor over/direct drive gearbox behind it to a 3:73 posi 14 bolt at the rear. (no, you can't run overdrive in 4wd). That's about it, for now. It's no dm but it does ok. I don't have 40k in it either. Sheet metal is starting to show a little age so I guess some body/paint work is in my future.

Welcome.

:DBe warned by the time we get done helping you you may have $40K in it! Some of us are hardcore certifiable insane over older diesels.

Welcome Steve. Enjoy the part time relaxing.

Did you by chance track mpg changes from n/a to turbo? Then what did the gear vendor do for mpg?

Welcome Steve. Enjoy the part time relaxing.

Did you by chance track mpg changes from n/a to turbo? Then what did the gear vendor do for mpg?
Haven't made an accurate check of mileage running empty, plus I set the fuel up when I installed the turbo, gear vendor gave me about a 500 rpm drop at 65 mph. I think it's getting close to 20 mpg empty.

Back