• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

help with nasty issue clunking,banging,smoke

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
guys i have a dsp setup i made for my buddies truck, it is the same setup i have had in my truck with no problems at all. only differance is he tows a little heavier than me, maybe 2-3000 lbs more at times. the first time it happened when he was going to new hampshire towing his camper, it starts bucking, banging and smoking like crazy. if you let off the throttle and get back on it smoothly it clears right up and is fine. so it has happened a few more times and he got it to where he can do it on command.

it happens only under a big load, ie: large long grade and not burying the throttle, if you prevent it from boggin down it wont do it. what happens is you get the typical little smoke from low boost and then it just freeks, feels like you drop a cylinder. after logging it i see this (it wont load). but the pressure drops to like 60 mpa, and pulse shoots through the roof like 4000 ms+ due to the lack of pressure and high mm3 rate. not quite sure why it is losing pressure that bad. i expect to see some loss but not 100mpa loss. especially when the pressure loss does not start after a full throttle, it happens once it shifts into 5th and converter locks. the pressure kinda spikes during the shift, then falls to 60-65 mpa actual. when desired is 140-and up. it just wont come back to you unless you let off the throttle and ease it back up.

It makes sense that the pulse width went higher when the fuel pressure dropped. I'm not sure if it's the same table in yours or not, but in mine one of the tables is B0720, that one is main inj pulse. You can see that as the actual pressure drops for a given mm3, the pulse width increases.
I would highlight the portion of the log that is affected and then check table B1001 (fuel pressure base) and see what cell is highlighted. If it is around 60, then there isn't a problem. Try jacking up those cells (in fuel pressure base) to see if that helps.
Just a guess.

iirc it ended up being a bad fuel filter. he ran bio for a while last summer and it must have cleaned everything in the fuel system. we changed the filter and all was well. i removed the tune and went to stock and after about a week of driving in stock form it started acting up as well. we then got the usual low pressure codes which never showed up while the tune was in because i blocked them.

yup filter. not to long after that the egr stuck open on him. caused all kinds of nasty issues. got that fixed now to.:)

Back