• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help with making cb less staticy?

My CB guy told me to make a coil and the cinch the middle with a tywrap making an "8" shape to avoid interference. I don't know that, just repeating it.

My CB guy told me to make a coil and the cinch the middle with a tywrap making an "8" shape to avoid interference. I don't know that, just repeating it.

By tywrap do you mean zip tie/cable tie? I don't think I have much excess but I'll have to check.

i too have duals, 4', but mounted on my mirrors(as seen in album). i only run the coax back from one, cause i talked to the local radio/light guy, and he said to just run the single. way too hard to tune for what is needed. he said that the trucks have duals so that they can get signal all the way around the truck. i just recently grounded my antenna(s), and didnt notice much difference in distance recieved/outputed. i went with the duals after i was sick at looking at a single 4' on the mirror. that too is in album. and they both have springs. i would be weary about springs in your set-up Max, cause if they whip forward, from being pulled back, into your cab they go.

cool thanks. Still haven't found time to mess with it but I'll get to it someday. Building a house and planning a wedding takes up a little time.

Dual antennae for a CB NEED to be seperated about 8 ft to get any performance gains. Those gains will be forward and backward which is why Truckers have dual antenna on the long haul rigs... plus they have the space to put them out on the mirrors so they can still throw to the rear and talk back to people behind.. they want to know what's out in front.

• Run the power wires straight to the battery.
    I had dual whips, trust me you're better off with a good tuned single properly set so you get low SWR...
  • your Coax needs to be 9 foot or in multiples of that.
    the wave length for the CB needs that so you're throwing at the right time off the antenna... so if 9 aint long enough make it 18.
  • S roll the antenna wire that is excess, don't loop it or you'll create a standing wave and get poor transmission quality.
  • Use an EXTERNAL SWR meter with a 9 foot cable in-line between your radio and your antenna to check SWR.
    The meters on the radios are not good enough to make an accurate adjustment for proper SWR ie proper transmission off the antenna. It's 20 bucks at radio shack.

Just some things I've learned over the years and from Amateur Radio. Here shortly I'll be putting another hole in the roof to hard mount a Maxrad CB antenna... and that'll make a VHF/UHF dualband Ham antenna, GPS antenna, and CB antenna on the truck... still might put on a wi-fi antenna and a cellular antenna as well.

Back