• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HELP Installing new rear wheel bearing they slide in ?

gsantoyo83

Reaction score
:) Hi everyone I have a problem on my 2003 GMC sierra SLE 5.3 rear wheel bearings. I am installing new rear wheel bearing due to the old bearing been noisy and a wobble. I desided to replace the other wheel bearing as well the bearing where hard to pull out one even snap a side of the lip bearing housing, so know am stuck. The new wheel bearings just slide in and out they don't stay in place I know they should be press in but the bearings are loose. I check the old bearings whit the new one there the same size the old bearings have this burn marks I also had metal shavings inside the differential cover had tooth marks i clean every thing inside the differential so now am stuck. what could be wrong? :???:

A little history about a month a go i had a small accident the made my truck swirl and made a complete 360 i ended with the rear wheel hitting some rocks which shoock the rear wheel hard I drove the the like that started to hear whining noise and the wobble in the wheel.

Sorry that I haven't response I found out that the bearings that I had got where the wrong size but I got the rights parts soon now the problem is that my rear driver side shaft is bend I just had put everything together. Am going to have to replace the axle but I think am going to replace
Both of the drive shaft I still hear this whining noice if am going to open up again the differential is there another part that I hold replace I did see a loose what it seem to be washer on the right side where the two crews hold the posi in place. How should the inside of the differential be
Align because I been look at the spring leaves and they don't seem to be align with the bed rubber mount sorry with soo many questions but I will like to fix everything I will post some pictures later thank you.

Today am going to take the diff apart and check the axle housing. hopefully the axle housing will be okay ill keep on posting some picture today.

the one time I encountered a bent axle it was just that bent axle not housing. it was bent outboard of the bearing so as to make the wheel wobble. I actually straightened it. not recommended tho

Looks bent, I agree with Les in that it is likely just the axle. Driveline shops use a laser to check the axle bore.

Thinking about it, have you laid the axle on a table with the flange hanging over the edge, then roll it. Look to see if the flange wobbles or the shaft is bent.

You may be lucky and just the rim is bent.

Here are antother pic can some tell me if thi posi is the right one for my truck also i pointed at a part that seams loose also can someone tell me what do the number on the gear mean because this one has two numbers. i look at the posi and it looks like is off more to right is this normal i look at all the gears them seam ok
20140324_142324.jpg20140324_142534.jpg20140324_142649.jpg20140324_142943.jpg20140324_143310.jpg20140324_143440.jpg

looks like what your pointing at is the cage that holds the rollers in position on the bearing. it should not be tight. if you don't have any metal shavings in there I'd be inclined to put it back together after dealing with the axle issue.

From what I could see its fine. Just swap the bent axle shaft and a new seal. Do not use blue silicone (looks like someone did before) on the diff cover. Use GMS or Permatex ultra black.

Back