• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help I Killed my Cummins!!!!!

BLACK RHINO

Test Pilot. You buy it I break it..
Reaction score
Driving my 03 3500 too work. Starts running real rough and spewing white smoke. Got it off the road re started it once but was running real rough and surging. Towed it back home and now it just rolls over no fire at all. Ijectors seem too be fine. ( Unplugged them and checked the resistance in them. Was in spec on all 6.) When I try too start it only gives 6 volts too cylinders 1-3. 12+ too 4-6. Disabled the preheater and it does fire on ether but won't catch. Got two DTC's P2146 and P2149. Transfer pump seems too work fine, And all ready did the factory recall on that so am sure that is fine. Down too must be A ECM or the CP-3 Fuel pump. Anyone know exactly what I need????? Any help would be greatly appreciated...:mad2: Thanks for your time..
Rhino.

Easy brother, I don't think ya killed it.

There are a few things you need to check first.

1 - Check the electrical wire coming off your AC compressor. This wiring has a tendency to wear through and short out. It's on the same circuit as your injectors and can cause all kinds of issues if it does. Just trace along it, I bet you find a break.

2 - Check your cam and crank position sensors. Theses two are also on the same circuit.

I betcha one of those two are your problem.

Beyond that, check the connection to the FCA on the CP3 and also your rail and map pressure sensors.

Lemme check those codes real quick.

Both of those codes are your injectors. They're circuit fault codes.

It's definitely not your CP3 and I highly doubt it's your ECM.

Check those electrical lines coming off your AC compressor.

THANKS!!!!!!!

Got my laptop out at my truck so will let ya know if I find something.... Thanks again!!!!:smile5:

Can't find any problems in the wiring. But am missing chunks outta my serpentine belt and they were slapping the sensor so am gonna steal the one outta my Brothers truck. Will see.. Nothing but time and money...lol...

Oh I did kill it.......

Thanks for the help Cumminalong.... I dropped both valves on hole 4.... Smashed that piston too pieces...And odds are they can't hone it.. Now it's bore it for bigger pistons and A new head.... Or drop A rebuild in it.... Things are gettin better....
Rhino.

Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear about the motor. If you could try and post some pics of the re-build process. I am sure some of the members would like to see this.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Then again.............time to build a big boy engine.

:fing02:

Did you break the stems or did the locks come out of the retainers?

That sux! Wish you luck on the rebuild! :thumbsup:

I would like to see pictures on the rebuild if you are able!

Sorry guys no rebuild. If I had A spare truck I would be all over it. Although this was pretty ugly. Would have too start from A crate motor. This thing is non salvageable. Only possibility would have been A bore job and oversize pistons. Would rather start from A fresh block. Rollin in A 09 now. And note.... EXHAUST BRAKES KICK ASS.. Always wanted one so I could drive my one ton like I do my Western Star. Love that thing... Once again Thanks for the advice, And the hints Cumminalong.

Congratulations on the new truck! :thumbsup: Too bad on your old motor, I guess you win some and lose some.

Sorry guys no rebuild. If I had A spare truck I would be all over it. Although this was pretty ugly. Would have too start from A crate motor. This thing is non salvageable. Only possibility would have been A bore job and oversize pistons. Would rather start from A fresh block. Rollin in A 09 now. And note.... EXHAUST BRAKES KICK ASS.. Always wanted one so I could drive my one ton like I do my Western Star. Love that thing... Once again Thanks for the advice, And the hints Cumminalong.

Well, I'm glad to see ya got another Cummins, and sad to see the other one wasn't easily salvageable.

A few things to keep in mind with the '09....

1 - They are NOT prgrammer friendly. They have a code in the ECM that detects non-factory tuning and will disable the ECM if it detects aftermarket programmers or boxes. What I mean by disable is it KILLS the ECM, requiring a new one that WILL NOT be covered under warranty. PM me your VIN and I'll see if yours has the code. It wasn't right off the bat for '09, so if it's an early build, you might be okay.

2 - The exhaust brake. While driving it around town, keep it turned on. This prevents the sliding nozzle from getting carboned up and setting the code for less than 100% movement of the turbo servo. This is the one that has been bringing a lot of folks in for CEL's coming on.

3 - If you do get that code and you've been driving it easy.....RUN THE BALLS OFF OF IT. You gotta get the EGT's and boost numbers up to clean the carbon out and that code will go away. Just last week I had a buddy call me freaking out about a CEL. I checked it, it was the turbo servo less than 100% code. I told him to go to Home Depot, rent the trailer with the backhoe on it and RUN THE SNOT OUT OF THE TRUCK. He called me later, light was gone.

4 - The two easiest and most effective mods on the 6.7 are deleting the DPF and the EGR. The entire exhaust is bolt on, no crazy tight clamps, so you can remove the parts and store them to put on if emissions or warranty work are issues. The EGR delete is simply a few block off plates and a resitor for the EGR motor.

Send me your VIN and I'll get your build sheet and see if you have the killer code on it.

:thumbsup:

Here ya go brother.

Let me know if ya need the actual sheets. I'll need to email them to ya.

Your truck was built on April 22, 2009 and yes, it has the killer code on it.

Slide1-22.jpg

Slide2-22.jpg

1 - They are NOT prgrammer friendly. They have a code in the ECM that detects non-factory tuning and will disable the ECM if it detects aftermarket programmers or boxes. What I mean by disable is it KILLS the ECM, requiring a new one that WILL NOT be covered under warranty. PM me your VIN and I'll see if yours has the code. It wasn't right off the bat for '09, so if it's an early build, you might be okay.

So your telling me that if the ecm detects a code, it will just kill the truck? What if you were in traffic, or worse yet, a real bad part of town? I could only imagine the lawsuits. Unless as soon as you install the tuner, the ecm just dies. But to make you pay for a new one seems crazy. Why not just store a code in non-volatile memory. Jerry.

So your telling me that if the ecm detects a code, it will just kill the truck? What if you were in traffic, or worse yet, a real bad part of town? I could only imagine the lawsuits. Unless as soon as you install the tuner, the ecm just dies. But to make you pay for a new one seems crazy. Why not just store a code in non-volatile memory. Jerry.

As soon as you try to start it, it'll kill it.

Just another way they trying to keep folks from messing with the tuning and bringing things in for warranty work.

You gotta look at it like this....and I'm just playing devils advocate here. What does an engine manufacturer REALLY sell?....Horsepower! So what happens to their profits when instead of buying a higher rated engine (which you pay BIG money for), you just go spend a few hundred bucks and tune your own power? They lose money.

They also lose money because people wanna play, but don't wanna pay. They wanna plug in the power, drive the nuts off of it and then expect things to be covered under warranty. You know who pays for that? The rest of us the next time we go to buy a new truck.

You know the aftermarket folks will find a work around. There's too much money to be made for the first one to get it right.

Glad I own an '06.

Last edited:
That's all understandable, but the warranty period is a short period in the life of the vehicle. Like was mentioned already, if they want to keep the false warranty claims down, store a cvn number like GM

That's all understandable, but the warranty period is a short period in the life of the vehicle. Like was mentioned already, if they want to keep the false warranty claims down, store a cvn number like GM

Can't tell ya brother, I'm just tellin ya what I know. :rolleyes5:

This code also applies to ANY 6.7 that goes in for flashes. Lemme look at what the first flash was that had this crap in it and I'll let ya's know.

If your last flash was before this series, you're good, so don't go letting the dealer flash it if you don't have any issues.

:nonod:

BTW.....your signature is KICK AZZ! I hate to say it, but I may just have to use that.

):h

NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2009 vehicles equipped with a Cummins 6.7L diesel engine (Sales code ETJ) built after March 04, 2009 (MDH0304XX) programmed with bootloader software number 00 06 01 (or later).

2007 and newer vehicles that have had the ECM replaced with the new bootloader software will also be effected.

DISCUSSION:

This bulletin explains a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC); U1601 - ECU Application Software Code 1 Missing Or Corrupted. If the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not have a calibration installed, or has an unapproved calibration installed then the ECM will be in a Read Only Memory (ROM) boot state. The ECM will have power but the lack of approved software will not allow the vehicle to be started and driven. No further diagnostics of the ECM will be available at this time.

This code will be cleared and issue resolved when the ECM is updated with the correct approved calibration. .

DTC U1601 set outside of the dealership with a no crank, no start condition caused by unauthorized (up-rate) software will NOT be covered under the terms of the warranty.

DTC U1601 code may also be set when a legitimate flash is interrupted for any reason.

This bulletin also involves explanations of the effects that aftermarket “Up-rate Kits” have on Cummins engine and emission systems.

NOTE: Replacement ECM's supplied by Mopar may also contain the secure bootloader software, thus the conditions listed above may apply to 2007 and newer vehicles if the ECM has been replaced.

CAUTION: Some customers may come in requesting a software update because the up-rate software does not recognize the secure bootloader software (even though the controller may be up to date). This should serve as a warning that the customer is attempting to tamper with the calibration in the vehicle's ECM.

Up-Rate kits are numerous and may include aftermarket software downloads.

Engines that have had tampering will generate excess soot and may damage the Turbocharger, Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and Oxygen Sensors (O2) and/or other emission system(s), air handling or fuel control components.

Some of the changes caused by Up-Rate kits (but not limited to):
· Engine calibration, including emissions.
· Governors, including engine speed and vehicle top speed.
· Torque and horsepower (which may cause other drive line component damage).
· Diagnostics, preventing MIL illumination.
· Drivability and torque management control.

I am with you Cumminalong. Too much money too be made that there won't be something comein out soon enough. It is A overboard response for warranty purposes. Cause after warranty runs out then what??? It is my problem entirely then... So they can go get personal with their hats.. I don't mind the new one.. Getting all my stuff slowly transferred on too it. Just need some time off work too get it finished. Wiring in all this crap is A pain in the ass.. Thanks again for your help when I blew the old one up..

Back