• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Head recommendations?

Veg_Out

Walking J Designs
Reaction score
Hello all,

I nearly sent the Burb down the road today. It's new head gaskets/heads time. Can I get a recommendation for a good set of low cost heads shipped to me quickly? I've decided to keep her.

I know Missy likes Clearwater and I found them on ebay.

Any other recommends?

I would go with clearwater. I feel their prices are fair and it is a new style head with less weight and other good improvements.

Another vote here for Clearwater. The guide clearances on the heads I bought were excellent, -and the guides and seats were concentric, -nice stuff. I intentionally disassembled both heads entirely to inspect them. I did do a hand-lap on each valve, then inspected each valve face and seat with dykem blue, -but I have always done that on every engine I've ever built.

They also come with the "big mouth" diamond precups, and are surface ground, -very impressive.

They are a nice company to work with also, -no hassles, decent price, decent product. :thumbsup:

Another vote here for Clearwater. The guide clearances on the heads I bought were excellent, -and the guides and seats were concentric, -nice stuff. I intentionally disassembled both heads entirely to inspect them. I did do a hand-lap on each valve, then inspected each valve face and seat with dykem blue, -but I have always done that on every engine I've ever built.

They also come with the "big mouth" diamond precups, and are surface ground, -very impressive.

They are a nice company to work with also, -no hassles, decent price, decent product. :thumbsup:
Nice avatar you got ratman:D

I have personally used the heads from clearwater.

About $600 for a pair to my door.

Great stuff for a very good price. These heads have a very good track record too.

AAAA++++

MGW

A friend of mine recommended some from Diesel Direct, but I'll be darned if I can find them. Any advice? He said they were Chinese, high flow heads.

Nice avatar you got ratman:D

Thanks bison! ):h

A friend of mine recommended some from Diesel Direct, but I'll be darned if I can find them. Any advice? He said they were Chinese, high flow heads.

Kris from Diesel Direct had a line on the same castings that clearwater use, -but Kris seems to have temporarily disappeared off the radar screen. Diesel Direct was supposed to be getting a new storefront, -but I never heard any more about it. I'd just go with clearwater and call it a day.

Clearwater has a good web presence and they deliver what they say they will.
Great to deal with too and very nice on the phone.

Stuff is packaged well and the boxes are good enough to ship your old ones back. Thye pay the freight back so its a great deal all the way around.

MGW

I went looking for DD on web did not find them, possibly no longer selling parts, they were struggling some last time I was at their new location year last spring; found another vendor nearby, called them, they said when they need new heads they also go to Clearwater so that seems to be a good source these days

We are currently testing the old ones, should know by tomorrow. All I keep hearing from the machine shops is "oh yeah, 90% of those heads are badly cracked." Perhaps I should just buy the new ones and get it over with, to save the time.

Back