• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard start

carolinacountyboy

Reaction score
Hi guys long time no see I had a no start issue a few weeks back. did the lift pump test it was dead. after i changed it the ops was bad. changed it
and new glows. it cranks up hard to start light white smoke then runs great two new 1000 cca bats to boot was time. the WIF light has been coming on more often. pmd is on the pump and does work. The lift pump puts 5.5 on my auto zone gauge vac/pressure guage I was cheap sorry so good pressure i think. GP lights stays on about 6 sec. it is the c2500 sub Ihave once it starts it runs great takes about 20 sec of cranking could the gp controller be bad ?? once again Imiss yall and hi all. I ove my new but Ineed some time with my rigs they need some TLC now that I can afford to put it in I dont have the time.

Yes i would check to see if your gp relay is working, long cranking and no fire, sounds like glows arent working.

IF it's been a while since you've been down and dirty with the girl. I would re-clean every ground first. Never forget the obvoius. You can try pulling the CTS sensor and the 'puter' will think its -30 out, and should add time/advance to the glows. See if that helps.

Hi guys long time no see I had a no start issue a few weeks back. did the lift pump test it was dead. after i changed it the ops was bad. changed it
and new glows. it cranks up hard to start light white smoke then runs great two new 1000 cca bats to boot was time. the WIF light has been coming on more often. pmd is on the pump and does work. The lift pump puts 5.5 on my auto zone gauge vac/pressure guage I was cheap sorry so good pressure i think. GP lights stays on about 6 sec. it is the c2500 sub Ihave once it starts it runs great takes about 20 sec of cranking could the gp controller be bad ?? once again Imiss yall and hi all. I ove my new but Ineed some time with my rigs they need some TLC now that I can afford to put it in I dont have the time.

If the glow plug light is on, it is sending voltage out the relay. How much and if it is reaching the glow plugs is a different story.

Is this the first start of the day, or every start.

My 94 starts hard cold, it'll try to fire right off the bat then nothing, you have to crank it for a little while. The thing that helped mine the most was a GP override relay/button, I just double the stock glow time and give it a little throttle and it will crank pretty good.

What GP's did you install?

Yeah, i catch that, but i figured it was common sense to him that if it came on, to drain it. I guess im assuming..... He seems to know his way around the truck. I just dont see how it (WIF-light)would make for a hard cold start, but then run good any other time???? If it had water in fuel wouldnt it run crappy all the time????

hard to start all the time and it does have a new fuel filter in it all grounds where done when i did the GP and battery. i am gonna have some time tomorrow to work on the blue beast but who knows I am gonna check the voltage coming out of the relay. will figure this out just need some new ideas. Ya'll know how it is when you start and you get one thing in mind and I hate tossing money and parts at it and it does not fix the original problem just waste time and money. thanks Jerry

Unplug the CTS. If your CTS is bad, it may be reading alot warmer than it is, thus the cold advance will be off as will the length of glow cycle. Unplugging it will make it think its really cold out. May start right up.

You sure your fuel is ok? Drain some out at the T-Valve and let it sit overnight to make sure it still looks like gatorade :)

Back