• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gutting a magnaflow 4" catalytic converter?

People pay decent $ for cats for recycling the rare metals in it. Might be worth it to check if someone there will buy it. Buddy of mine here in vegas just got $100 for it and the guy did it for him once he told him it was a off road only truck.

Run it as is. Won't hurt anything till it starts to plug up. Takes a couple years anyway. I would put the cat closer to the turbo than 6.5 factory as the cooling from the factory location helps plug them up. Note how close modern stuff is to the engine vs. a 6.5.

The spun metal innards will not gut easy.

I run the ATT with a 4" duramax DOC kitty with decent results.

People pay decent $ for cats for recycling the rare metals in it. Might be worth it to check if someone there will buy it. Buddy of mine here in vegas just got $100 for it and the guy did it for him once he told him it was a off road only truck.

Diesel cats don't contain the precious metals that gas cats do. An average gas cat is worth $50-150(unless it's an import, they're worth $$$), the average diesel cat is worth $5-15.

Not saying I have ever done this but when I have "seen" it done I thick steel rod and couple of wacks with the BFH and your through. After the initial few times the rod comes through is a bit of work and then the rest crumbles. This was on gasser cats... never seen a diesel one gutted... just thrown in the scrap pile!:D

My understanding is the Dynomax high flow cats are the best you can get for not impeding exhaust gas flow. Some of the info on gassers I have seen surprisingly indicates almost no flow loss.

The above BFH works on ceramic cats. A spun metal cat like you are asking about will 'bend' rather than shatter.

Again I would run it as is. You will have a hard enough time with emissions as is and proving that the small bump is a cat not another muffler.

Value of scrap/failed/etc cats:
http://www.sellyourcatsdirect.com/dpf-systems/#duramax

I've ran it thru without the cat and it passed everything except the "visual cat" inspection. I put the cat on then it then they just looked with their mirror and passed me.

I would run a resonator and keep a pic of the cat in your truck so you can "PROVE" its a cat, or simply get some cat heat shields and weld those on some pipe.

The cat you list is probably stainless and very hard to gut, I had to gut the rear cat on a Stealth TT, its stainless, took me 2 friggin hours, :mad2: If you must do it, find an OE cat and straight pipe it, hollowing it out produces weird gas flow issues. Aftermarket cats around my area get me $5, diesel cats around $20-40, OE gasser cats range from $50-200.

So I gutted it today, only took me about 25 minutes so it wasnt too bad. Just gotta get the piece I cut out welded back on tomorrow or the next day.

Just put in a M090362 Donaldson 4 Inch Resonator. Looks just like a Cat, but it's Straight Through.

Forgot about this site, I used a 4" Donaldson resonator in place of the cat and just recently passed the opacity and visual (Az) for the cat in place, close fit to the cab. Ran it for awhile with just the resonator and a little to loud for me, just recently installed the muffler before inspection much quieter to my liking.

Yea I was gonna buy one of those bit I ended up just gutting my cat instead of spending the extra money. But I had a bit of bad luck the other day, oil pump went out on the i10 and i17 interchange. Now I've got a nice knock in my motor. Ugh

Back