• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gonna need a new torque wrench...

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
With the beautiful weather Jackson was lucky to have today as well as this weekend I had quite alot of work to patch up. Mostly my new rear leaf springs and wheels/tires.

Long story short a few applications requiring 200ft/lbs of torque has killed my home depot Torque Wrench. Seems like all the torquing and whatnot broke something in the head. Now parts are loose, the selector switch for forward and reverse doesn't work, and now of a really big, expensive breaker bar.

Guess its time to upgrade. I was wondering what torque wrenches you guys would recommend? I want one that will ACTUALLY LAST. Its gotta be able to go as low as 20 ft/lbs but now lower than 200ft/lbs.

If you want to spend a lot of money go with snap on, if not go with craftsman and ensure it has the life time warranty.

Does the Home Depot one have a lifetime warranty?

SK stuff is VERY Low Priced on Ebay.

I got over $7k worth of SK Tools on there for about $2k maybe $2500.

Yeah the Home Depot one had a nice 60 day warranty against manufacturers defects. That was mistake number one.

I'll have to look around at some of the Craftsman and Snap On wrenches.

I like the idea of a beam style wrench, but I'm a bit of a sucker for the ones that "click" once torque is reached. Kinda takes the "human" error chance out of it as compared to the beams...

Have you taken the head apart to see the problem?

It would be a broken tooth (or more) on a gear, similar to what happens to cheaply made ratchet wrenches.

Like ak diesel driver, I've had my (Craftsman) beam type for over 15 years, still works.

Regards,
Franko

Then I must have been the sucker with the cheaply made Torque wrench then, cause I did take the head apart and low and behold I had several teeth and basically the guts come fall out on me. Oh well. It survived the axle swap and that's where I needed it the most.

The beam ones seem to cost alot less too as compared too the "clicking" ones. Am I looking at el cheapo ones again or is it because of the simplicity factor? I like simple.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...21x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00944642000P

Haven't seen a clicker torque wrench with a lifetime or limited lifetime warranty.

I use both beam and clicker torque wrenches: quick rough torque with stubby ratchet, beam torque, then clicker torque. For high torque values with multiple nuts (heads, wheel nuts, etc), I stage the torque downs using the beam, then finish off with the clicker.

I have had excellent luck with Craftsman tools. Never had any problem with any of my torque wrenches.

I've only broken a couple of sockets, some screwdrivers and one 1/2" Flex Handle. All were replaced at the nearest Sears store, no questions asked.

Snap-On tools are more expensive and you have to wait for the Snap-On truck to come by in order to get a broken tool replaced. Their warranty is not as good. If you break a Craftsman screwdriver you get a new screwdriver. But if you break a Snap-On screwdriver, they only replace the blade.

Bought a Craftsman beam style wrench at Sears the other day. Set me back a jaw dropping $28.87, with a lifetime warranty. So far I'm happy :D

I hate beam type torque wrenches. Not that they're not accurate, but you have to be in a position to see the beam. When working on something in or from a vehicle, that isn't always an option.

Back